Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Rumpus Rooms

TanyaH is offline Registered User

Every single one of us wants the very best for our babies, however we go about it, either by sending them to every type of class going; keeping them at home and showing them flash cards away any other children's bugs, or somewhere between the two. There is no right or wrong answer, we do the best we know how, based on what we have read or how we were brought up.

I am a Mum of a 25 month old. I have Mum-friends in Happy Valley, Stanley, Mid Levels, the Peak and DB etc and I want to see them. I wish someone else had started a Rumpus so that I could have chilled out with my mates, without trashing their apartments, stung their club bills, worried about the weather / polution factors of the day etc, then I would have been there with bells on - but they didn't.

I started Rumpus - with Mums in mind. It is not perfect. Nowhere is.

Thankfully, many many mums love it and some come every week and use it as their meeting place of choice. Others come when they have friends in town with babies, others because the weather is bad or simply just because they felt like it! Other people only use it for Birthday parties.

Of course, we have helpers there too. Its HK. Some mums work, They want their children to have simple play time around other children in a "safe" environment so that when they go to playschool or pre-school, it won't be such a culture shock. We have tons of things for them to do, either in little groups or solo - it is up to them what they are in the mood for. Normally the older toddlers come in the morning (15 months to 28 months) and younger one (usually 8-14 months old) in the afternoons.

I honestly don't know what else to say other than sometimes I really, really, really wish someone else had started it so that I wouldn't get so hurt by the personal attacks like Happy Mum's. Then again I am really heartend by some of the positive treads too.

happymum is offline Registered User

I am sorry if I offended anyone with my "tirade" and actually nothing personal is meant...I guess I am just picking on the RR as its the most recent "baby/toddler experience" I have been to in recent month....... I have tried other more "educational " places and I equally do question their worth.Its just when I took my child to places such as RR or Baby gym or Panda or Kinder (can't remember which)...I have to ask what value they are giving to him. I take on board the Sai Kung readers' problems but I guess that I still have diffuculty in the idea of traipsing into central for the sake of your child...surely there's something more productive to do elsewhere. I too am off most of the time on my own with a very active young 2 and a half year old. maybe I was a little put off RR by the high price and when I went the lack of people to "just chat" to. helpers......no thanks.
    I think Wee keen ideas are good and I noticed a thread posted elsewhere that was very positive and helpful.
    Dont mean to be too harsh but really not just RR everywhere...does anyone else think they are a rip off??

noella is offline Registered User

What an interesting thread and really I can see both sides to the argument! I have to agree that practically every activity for little ones here are far too expensive. I envy my friends in London that have Baby Yoga , playgroups and rooms all for free! My husband phsically flinches when I mention that is time to re enrol for classes, I have 3 children so certainly could not afford to pay $100 + per activity especially when my husband and I have just had a 4 course set lunch in Soho for $138. I spose there is no perfect answer!!!

kangaroo is offline Registered User

I agree to some extent with happymum, I have had sort of a similar experience at rumpus.I had a helluva time finding it in the first place but I had to negotiate some tricky paths and roads with a bubba in a pram. I was left feeling a bit disappointed...don't know what I expected but the wow factor was not there for me. I was there with 2 helpers and a group of mums who did not include me but spoke only in their own language...I did hear one of them talking good english to the lady on reception. It was very much drop inish...but again I too felt the age range catered for was huge...My child at the time was neither toddler or little baby and I felt that I was scared of her getting hurt by some of the older children dashing around.Maybe they need to schedule age specific time slots.
    It is a nice place and has a fun feel but again i agree...lots of money to just sit for an hour or so. I have also found that I have met new friends mostly over repeated exposure, I did go to rumpus a few times...but there was never the same set there so I made no lasting contacts with fellow mums and dads. It did have a going there for the sake of it feel.
    I do think HK is hard if you're a mum who is not working and trying to do lots with a youngster. Positive ideas are good and it would be cool to share ideas.

zoeb is offline Registered User

Rumpus Rooms is fab. It would be great if one opened in South Side.

MrsE is offline Registered User

Rumpus Rooms

I sometimes look at this website but have not felt the need to post a message before! But just wanted to say that I agree with zoeb. I think the Rumpus Rooms is fab. I have been going there since my baby was 3 months old. She is now 1 and she loves it more and more.

I think some of the negative comments on this thread are pretty harsh. We live in an expensive city, and so personally I don't think it is too expensive compared to other similar options for activities in the Central district. I know there are lots of free things you can do in HK, but sometimes with a baby it is not so easy to take a trip out to the beach / park etc and the weather is not always ideal. I guess I am lucky that the RR is quite convenient for me to get to, so it is a very easy trip out of the apartment for us. But the best thing for us is definitely the "drop-in" factor, ie no stressing about getting to a class on time and then your baby is not in the mood etc. No making detailed arrangements. And you can stay as long as you want. Plus we love all the toys! There are so many to choose from, I think it's great. It also gives me the chance to see what my baby likes to play with as she grows up so I get some ideas about what to do with her at home.

In my opinion, the owner Tanya does a great job. She is not pretending to be a teacher! She is a Mum who had a good idea to set up a lovely playroom in Central. We love the song circle by the way! The RR is just a very relaxed place where you can chat if you want, or just be quiet and only play with your baby. You can go with friends or on your own.

Anyway, this message is quite long - sorry! Just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the Rumpus Rooms!

hkaussie is offline Registered User

I agree with the fact that the 'drop in' thing is a big positive! I would never bother going if it was a lesson/class type of atmosphere. Most children's centres in HK are too structured - it is a good thing that the kids can just be free to play.

And on the 'helpers...no thanks' remark!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234