Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Should we wait or have a c-section?

geiboyi is offline Registered User

All babies have big heads, compared to the rest of them. Private doctors make more money from c/s than normal delivery. HK has possibly the highest rate of c/s in the entire world. And probably the richest doctors.

jools is offline Registered User

Hi,
    I agree with alot of what has been said so far. There is a higher rate of elective C-sections in Hong Kong and the cynical amongst (me included) feel that this is due to money rather than medical necessity.

A baby is often 'high up' before labour begins. My second child's head had not even engaged when I went into labour. My third child was 4.3 kg. All three of my children have been delivered naturally; though the first two had to be assisted out with a ventouse. My easiest labour was my third child and he was the biggest.

Yes I agree you have to take the doctor's advice on board, but you also have to go with what you feel. As I say my third labour was the easiest and as a result my recovery time was much faster. If you go for an elective C-section, I know that some women feel cheated that they didn't give labour a chance. This might not be your wife, but it is worth thinking about.

If your wife has her mind set on a natural delivery then she should give it a try. Whatever happens your baby is going to come into this world, one way or another. Also be aware that your wife's body is specifically designed for this task and yes the doctor is there to help, but they can also sometimes be a hindrance to the natural process. I was lucky enough to have a doctor who was willing to wait outside the delivery room until I got the urge to push with my third, and as a result the medical intervention was at a minimum. This meant that I fully experienced everything as, in my mind, it should be and I will be forever grateful to her for that.

Good luck with your decision and try to relax about it. You will be soon holding your precious baby in your arms and your concerns will pale into the past.

Jool

SyL
    SyL is offline Registered User

Tsan Yuk advised to schedule a c-section due to baby's breech position. Do any of you know the cost for c-section delivery at Queen Mary? Is it the same as the cost of vaginal delivery?

This case is not considered an elective c-section--is it?

geiboyi is offline Registered User

Should be the same cost as any other procedure int he hospital - you are charged per hospital night ($100, I think), and not according to what treatment you are getting.

I don't think it's considered elective (you are not choosing, but following the doc's recommendations), but it is scheduled, not emergency, so you should be able to have your partner there with you, unlike with an emergency c/s.

sunrays is offline Registered User

I am in the same situation as you SyL, my baby is breech and we are booked to have a c-section this Friday at QM. As far as I know the charges are as geiboy mentioned and you can have your partner there.

If you've not got a date already, it may be worth doing as they are pretty booked up and the 13th was the earliest appointment I could get (due dat is 15th).

All the best

Sunrays

SyL
    SyL is offline Registered User

Good Luck, Sunrays. You will finally meet your little one. I was previously given the 18th as a date, due date is 24th, but won't know for sure until this afternoon.

I want my husband to be in the room with me, so I'm glad to read your comment, geiboyi.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12