Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should we wait or have a c-section?

kidphame is offline Registered User

Should we wait or have a c-section?

Hi,

Heres my situation. My wife is 39 weeks pregnant. According to the last ultrasound our baby weight 3.6 Kgs. My wife is quite a small (short) woman. So our doctor reccomended she do an elective c-section as he feels at 40 weeks the baby will weigh close to 4 Kgs and she will most likely not be able to give birth naturally. And therefore have to do an emergency c-section. He also mentioned the baby is still quite high up.

Ive heard many stories about doctors in Hong Kong being pro-c-section. Even though our doctor seems very nice and sincere, im still wondering should we take his advice and do the c-section at 39.5 weeks. Or should we hold on till 40 weeks to see if the baby comes naturally.

In my country(USA) c-section is always the last alternative. And doctors will normally make you wait untill even 41 weeks before doing a c-section.

Can anyone please give me some ideas?

Zen
    Zen is offline Registered User

My baby didnt make an apperance until 42 weeks.
    If the baby is late, the first option is usually to try and induce labour.
    C-section is usually reserved for breech babies or if the mum or baby has some health problems.
    Having said that, its still very important to trust your doctor and defer to him ultimately. They are professionals and know a lot more than us. But we as patients are entitled to explanations and clarifications. I would do my own research (there are lots of books and websites you can refer to), make a list of queries and have a long chat with the doctor and then see if I'm convinced that a c-section is really necessary.

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User

I agree with Zen that you need to trust your doctor ultimatley, if he has given you a medically valid reason why your wife may not be able to give birth naturally then you should follow his advise.

However, I also think that here in HK they are far to willing to do c-sections. I have a very good book on pregnancy and it does state that its the size of the pelvis not wether you are big or small that counts.

You should talk through all options thoroughly with your doctor and then make the decision on what you and he feels is best for both the baby and your wife.

Regarding the baby being too high up I thought that just meant its not ready to arrive yet.

Good luck.

Zen

I forgot to mention that my baby was born naturally via vaginal delivery.
    I was scheduled for an induction but it was not required. The labour pains started on their own.
    The baby was posterior which is why she was so late in arriving. Even though the labour had begun, when I went into the delivery room, her head had not engaged and my water hadnt broken. I had a verrrry loooong 'backache' labour. I begged for a c-section several times but my gynac refused on the grounds that both the baby and I were absolutely fine. She finally relented and let me have an epidural because I was totally exhausted.

geiboyi is offline Registered User

The 'big baby' argument is a very convenient excuse for docs who much prefer to schedule a c-section rather than a natural, spontaneous delivery (c/s is 20 mins max, then straight back on the golf course). The part of a baby that is difficult to deliver is the head - this is the biggest bit, and the bit that increases least in size towards the very end of the pregnancy. Any extra weight the baby puts on now is just fat (on the body, not the head...). So, whatever the baby actually weighs has very little bearing on the delivery. I had a 3.3kg baby and a horrific delivery. Nothing to do with weight. Your doctor is being naughty...

kashismum is offline Registered User

If you & your wife are undecided, there's absolutely no harm in waiting a bit. On average, babies are born at 40.5 weeks. You can simply hang on and revisit the issue in a week if labour has not started.

On the other hand, it's not worth stressing about. The most important thing is that you have a healthy baby, regardless of the mode of delivery.

chca is offline Registered User

Hi, there,

I am facing quite similar situation here. Actually my EDC was two days ago, but my baby is still sleeping inside my belly.

I was doing regular check-up in public hospital and went to see private doctors occationally. On my 34 weeks pregancy, one private doctor said according to the ultrasound, my baby had a big head and suggested that a selective C-section at around 38 weeks is preferrable for me. But when I told doctor in public hospital and did ultrasound at public hospital at around 36 weeks, I was told the baby's head is big but not exceed upper limit. And they are not suggesting a C-section. I was quite confusing about different opinions that doctors offered between private hospital and public hospital.

At 36 weeks pregnancy, I was thinking of natual delivery. But now, it's already passed the due date and seems the baby gains a lot. I am starting worry if I could do it natually or not. And public hospital doctor just keep saying that I can do it by naturaly delivery and won't offer another ultrasound.

I am active to do exercises everyday to gain strength. Wish everything is going smoothly.

Zen

My baby has a large head too.
    I had a lot of ultrasounds but the doc's didnt mention the head size as being too large or anything.
    But during the last stages of labour, when the head crowned, I kept pushing and the head kept slipping back in.
    So finally, the doctor asked me if he could do an episiotomy.
    I was like : yes! please, do anything, just get the baby out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast