Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Staring at my bump!

alibali is offline Registered User

Staring at my bump!

This is a bit of a strange question... I am 7 months, almost 8 months, pregnant and since I've started to show, local chinese seem to be openly staring at my bump. Some slow down to look or practically turn theirs heads 360 degrees. I don't wear crop tops or such, but sometimes my belly does pop out a little from underneath my t shirts and sometimes my tops are a bit snug around my belly, but I am by no means letting it all hang out. Also, I am taking antenatal exercise classes at Tsan Yuk, and every time the midwife comes to me to check a position, she pulls down my shirt or pulls up my pants to cover my belly (she smiles when she does it). So my question is, am I offending chinese by wearing tight clothing or by showing any part of my belly? Thanks!

DTHY is offline Registered User

Traditional Chinese believe if part of the belly is exposed, it would be easier for the baby/you to catch a cold and that is not good for both the baby's or your health. That's why you don't see may Chinese pregnant women with exposed bellies and I guess that's the reason for the midwife to cover your belly after the check-up. I think it's just a cultural thing...don't worry... :o)

rach is offline Registered User

I've noticed it too (I'm about 30 weeks) and other pregnant friends have mentioned the same thing so you are not alone. A lot of locals seem to wear big tent dresses (which make me look even bigger and i imagine would be hot) but i guess it is a cultural thing. i tend to wear more fitted things and although I try not to have my belly hanging out sometimes I don't notice until I notice someone looking!

nursie is offline Registered User

The staring must be quite annoying. I'm 19 weeks pregnant and still get away with 'just being fat' :-)

I also think that most people like to just look at pregnant women. So do I but I certainly don't stare, though. That's rude.

A lot of pregnant women look stunning so that could also be a big reason for being stared at!:woman

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Have also experienced the staring! People seem to stare at my bump regardless of wether any of it is showing or not! It use to really annoy me at first- it felt like they'd never seen a pregnant woman before!

joannek is offline Registered User

i'm chinese & when i was pregnant, i only wore regular t-shirts & low rise pants. my bump was always showing, and every time i see the older generation who r more conservative, they'd comment on the way i'm showing my bump, and they'd ask me why i don't wear tent dress or empire tops, i'd say, "hey, why hide my baby in a tent dress? i'm proud to be pregnant!"

so it is a cultural thing. if you hang out in central or causway bay here they people are more westernized, they r better.

but hey, wear whatever makes you feel pretty, happy & comfortable! you're not gonna be pregnant forever (altho it might feel that way ) so do whatever makes you & the little one inside happy. enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!

alibali is offline Registered User

It's good to hear that it's not just happening to me then. If I'm not offending anyone, then I'll continue to wear my tighter clothes. I feel as big as a house as is, without baggy clothes adding to it! Plus, I'm proud to show off my bump! Thanks for your replies.

jools is offline Registered User

I had one couple walk passed me, then slow down to let me go by them and then catch me up again; the whole time staring and pointing. I almost got a t-shirt printing saying, yes I'm pregnant.

All the staring whilst I was pregnant, however, was nothing compared to the staring and pointing I get now that my son is foward facing in the sling. I now have some insight into what it must be like to be famous. Most of the time I try to be gracious and smile. I know my son is beautiful and cute, but it can be quite tiring to keep smiling.

Jools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast