Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Anyone came across this (please read)

geiboyi is offline Registered User

Agree that your MIL may resent you doing this as it's something she cannot do, so feels less needed. Tough.

Also, people here like fat babies - this all stems (probably) from the fact that in the past (not so long ago) a lot of babies didn't survive childhood - a fat baby was therefore rightly considered good - generally fat babies aren't suffering from any nasty illness (although of course long term it's not at all good). Note that HKers have some odd ideas about weight - look at all the 'lose weght' posters in the MTR/local mags.

Finally, also linked to the above, I suspect, is the fact that people here consider something that costs more is better. Breastfeeding is something that poor people (in China) do, because they can't afford formula. Formula is better than breastmilk because of all those claims printed on the cans (makes your baby cleverer, taller, etc). People here do tend to believe things that they are told - will never question doctors, etc.

Just ignore your MIL. You know that breastfeeding is good for you and your baby, and that it all that matters. I breastfed my son for more than a year and he is big and strong and very rarely sick. (Luckily my MIL is 6000 miles away so I never had the problem that you do...).

hkaussie is offline Registered User

You're not alone, I had my security guard press money into my hand (YES, he actually did that) to go and buy formula because my baby was 'too skinny'.

My baby has been on the top percentile for weight ever since he was born at 4.1kg!!!

How ridiculous.

I do feel for you, these things always hurt us mothers, and my security guard's comments made me feel worried, but you know there's always going to be something to worry about, it's tough being a Mummy. At least our babies love us more than anyone else :-)

joannek is offline Registered User

wow, look at all these posts of people who support your decision to bf your baby. I also had a lot of harsh comments about bfeeding my baby. I didn't care about any of them, but my mom's really bug me. so one day i just said, "Baby cows drink cow's milk, baby goat drinks goat's milk, baby humans drink human milk. and if baby human drinks cow's milk, you figure what's gonna happen" (apologies to those who formula fed their babies, but this was the only way to shut her up) in fact, after hearing this statement, my dad & my sister became very supportive of my bfeeding.

you know, human sizes are half genetic half diet. skinny moms have skinny children, even if their children eat a lot. i bet you're not very big yourself.

jane01 is offline Registered User

Good on you for b/f, especially with so little family support. Your bub is just a different body shape, one I'm sure you'll appreciate when your boy is older. I'm sure you will also appreciate that he will generally be sick less than his formula fed peers.

I don't understand the HK wish for enormously fat babies but stick thin adults. I'm no expert, but surely laying down all those extra fat cells from formula and feeding them when they are already full is going to make them fatter/unhealthier/etc in the long run?

JennyB is offline Registered User

Don't forget that China has known famine in living memory... maybe colours the elder generation's desire for baby to be as fat as possible. Although many HK adults are stick thin, being called fat does not have such a negative connotation as it does in western countries. Of course the irony is that the breastfed baby would be much better off in a famine situation - but I'm just talking about the bias towards overweight babies being thought desirable! May help to understand where MIL is coming from...

The new WHO growth charts are based on breastfed babies being the norm: http://www.who.int/childgrowth/standards/en/
    Apparently a lot more overfed formula babies are now in the "obese" category when compared with traditional charts.
    If you click on the "software" link on the left-hand side of the WHO page, you can download their software to input your child's data which will tell you exactly what centile your child is or has been on.

You could also try to let your MIL know all the benefits of breastfeeding. Quote her facts and figures about higher IQ, lower cancer rates, etc. I'm sure you could find links to those on the LLL site: www.LLLhk.org

cemily is offline Registered User

May I ask if your breastfed babies are just as tall as the formula babies despite not being as chubby or the bf babies are also shorter?

tks

rgds

e

joannek is offline Registered User

cemily, are you asking us all? or just babi77? my baby was born 50%tile in all aspect. she's been breastfed until she was 15 mths. when she was 1 yr old, she's tripled her birthweight (hence becoming 75%tile in weight), & 60% in height.

usfret is offline Registered User

Cemily,

I am pretty certain height is determined by genes. But to answer your question, my boy is 100% breast fed and at only 6 months people even strangers always comment on how "long" he is. My husband and I both are quite petite and of average height. But I am guessing he has got my maternal family's genes coz both my brother and my sister (who have been exclusivly breastfed too) are really tall - my brother is over 6 ft in height and my sister is nearly 5.10"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast