Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hospital tours

jaetee is offline Registered User

Hospital tours

Has anyone done a hospital tour before delivery time? Do we need to pay a deposit when we tour, and can we just show up or do we need to pre-book several days in advance?

Anything in particular to ask/look for on the tours?

Thanks so much.

kashismum is offline Registered User

I assume you're talking about private hospitals.
    Call ahead and ask to have a look around the facilities. At this stage, you don't have to commit, so no charge. You can show up on the day in labour with a letter from your doctor and you'll get checked in.
    You might want to ask if your baby can room in with you - will depend on your class of room. Your partner should be allowed with you during the delivery at all private hospitals, but you might want to check. If you're planning to breastfeed, just check that they'll be happy to bring baby to you throughout the night (if not rooming in) and not feed him/her w/formula or glucose water.
    You can prepare a birth plan or simply a set of instructions to hand to the nurse. Since you're paying a pretty penny, they should be happy to accomodate most reasonable requests.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks kashismum - I am trying to decide between Matila and Adventist, so will probably try to tour both of them.

Has anyone given birth recently at Adventist and Matilda and can share their experiences?

Thanks again.

kara23 is offline Registered User

I gave birth to my baby boy last year at Adventist. I would definitely recommend this hospital based on my own experience. Haven't been to the Matilda so can't compare. The nurses at Adventist are really nice and they made me feel very comfortable throughout my stay there.

Jo&Caia is offline Registered User

I gave birth at Matilda in January and had a pleasant experience. The midwives/nurses were very helpful and took really good care of me and the baby... you can even call the maternity ward after you leave the hospital if you have any problems or questions and they'll be happy to assist you. We've toured both hospitals prior to giving birth and must say that they equally have very friendly and helpful staffs. Actually we chose Adventist but was sent to Matilda when I went into labour in the middle of the night... thought it was dr's common practice to send patient closer to him to save time (I opted for C-section) but found out the next day that it wasn't (was just an honest mistake)... but can't complain as everything went well and we were happy that we ended up at Matilda.

kashismum is offline Registered User

I think you'll find both are fairly similar, just that the Adventist is a little cheaper and less luxurious. I delivered there last year and, overall, my experience was very pleasant. The food is excellent!
    I've been an in-patient at the Matilda before (not for maternity) and it's more upmarket than the Adventist. I'm going to deliver there this time but my husband's complaining that it's too far away! You may want to consider location and it's convenience.

jools is offline Registered User

Hi,
    You will need to book for a tour and I recommend that you take the opportunity to look around. You will get a feel for the place. I did a tour of both the Matilda and Adventist. I chose the Matilda, because at the time they didn't let you room in with your baby at the Adventist (I don't know if this has changed). Rooming in for me was vital in getting breastfeeding off to a good start and also to spend quality time with my baby.
    I have now delivered twice at the Matilda and had a fantastic experience both times. We are also planning on a fourth child and will be returning to the Matilda, if we're still in Hong Kong. The Matilda is very luxurious (especially when comparing to the NHS in the UK where I had my first child). The care I received was exceptional and as an added bonus the food is great. They also have a dedicated lactation consultant, again a huge plus in getting breastfeeding off to a good start. Even though it was not my first time breastfeeding, it was great to have the back-up as each child is different and it's also amazing how much you forget when you have a new born.

Good luck with which ever hospital you go to.

Jools

I hope/wish I could get a private room in Matilda, but it is so so expensive. :(

1) At Matilda, do they upgrade you often if the private rooms are empty?
    2) With a private room at Adventist, do they still not let the baby room in??
    3) Do the doctor delivery fees vary a lot by room type??

Thanks. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast