Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Chinese tutors

creaturecomfort is offline Registered User

Chinese tutors

I have tried quite a few different Chinese tutors for my children - some qualified, some not.

None have been very impressive - just do a lecture style lesson, or read repeat, read repeat. My kids quickly switch off or start to play up.

The other problem is that it is hard to get the teacher to use Chinese. For example they will teach the word BOOK in Chinese then have a conversation in English on what books they like.

I am an English tutor and teach exclusively in English - even to children with zero English. It can be done. I have tried to share different teaching ideas with the Chinese tutors eg put objects in different corners of the room and the children have to run to what-ever word you say - but they do not get it - one even did the exercise in English!!

I am at a lose as to what to do next. I have tried sports classes but the teachers speak in English when my kids turn up. I have asked the sports teachers to speak in Chinese but they say that my kids don't understand if they do. Every child they start to play with in the park speaks to them in English too - part of being too white.

I am hoping someone can recommend a great interactive tutor who has experience teaching Chinese as a second language to foreign children or advice on other ideas. My other thought is to learn Chinese myself and teach them what I learn as I learn it.

Thanks for reading.

andymom is offline Registered User

Please read your pm, thanks.

andymom is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by andymom
    Please read your pm, thanks.
    My husband speaks Cantonese and Putong Hua and is good with children.
    He plays with our son, 3 yo, every morning for 1-2 hours, talking in Putong Hua all the time (while I speak English to him) and teaching him Chinese poems and songs. Now our son's very fluent in Chinese.
    I suggest an informal lesson for your children, where they learn Chinese through play.
    Please contact me if you're interested.

sherms28 is offline Registered User

any hopes in getting tutor for your kids? i am looking one for my daughter as well.... do you think you could refer me?

bbsmum is offline Registered User

I agree exactly with the idea that Creaturecomfort is proposing. Kids learn through play and being didactic just puts them off learning the language... Anyone knows of any good chinese picture books? good stories in chinese? DS loves watching Peppa Pig and Charlie & Lola? Do you have chinese translated version on DVD?

mocha is offline Registered User

creaturecomfort,

I was also an English tutor, I also have lots of learn through play and games teaching ideas can share. I also speak fluent Cantonese and fairly good Putong Hua. I think i can make use all those ideas for teaching in chinese.

In this case, i have a suggestion, may be we can exchange lesson, i provide chinese tuition to your kid and you provide english tuition to my boy. where do you live and how old is your boy. mine is nearly 3 and live in taipo

The reason i do not want to provide english tuition to my boy by myself are..

1. cantonese is the only language i use with him, i want to him to learn more cantonese before we go back to our non-chinese speaking country, i don't want to break this rule at home.

2. outsider for teaching, i hope can give my boy more chance to meet other ppl and outsider may have diff teaching ideas.

pls let me know if interested in.

pratikcha is offline Registered User

hi all mom i m very much looking for chinenes tutur for my 4 1/2 year daughter any sugestion