Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Private together with Public??

super is offline Registered User

Private together with Public??

This is my first time pregnancy. I have a private OB taking care of me and my baby. Recently, a lot of friends suggest me to make appointment with the public hosipitals as well. Is it common?? And should I do so as well??

Millerwhisk is offline Registered User

Congratulations!

It will probably depend on whether you plan on using the private system for the whole pregnancy and birth or not. If you are then there is no point registering with the public hospitals. Some people see a private ob for check ups but deliver at public hospital due to cost / other reasons. Even so you do not need to register until 32 weeks.

gigi is offline Registered User

I used private for my whole pregnancy, but at the same time, I also registered at the public hospital. I went to public for a few times and then stopped. I did so because it was recommended by a friend who had complication before, and at that time she only went to private and thus she had no record at the public. When she was brought to the operating theatre which was an emergency case, she was asked to provide all her perosnal data.....and it took ages for the staff to complete the registration form!!

Even though if you don't plan to use public, it is no harm to get registered with them because you'll never know what happens (touch wood!)! Anyway, congratulations and all the best to you and yor baby!

rani is offline Administrator

My first ObyGn suggested that I may not be able to carry my baby full term. The next week I registered at Tsan Yuk. I was around 22 weeks at the time. Like Gigi I did a combo of public/private tll about 33 weeks and then continued with my private Dr.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

super is offline Registered User

Thanks gals for all the advice. The reason why my friends suggest to register at public hospital is to make it as a back up for any unexpected complications or emergency.

It's a bit time consuming to check with 2 docs (1 private and 1 public). But I think it's worthwhile to make it more safe, right :D

Again, many thanks!!

gigi is offline Registered User

Does anyone know how long the public hospital will keep our record on file? I'm at my 2nd pregnancy now but I'm a bit lazy to register with public this time. Just wondering if they still have my previous record?

JennyB is offline Registered User

It's not you that needs to be on file but your pregnancy and how the baby is developing. Of course if you show up in labour without having registered, they will not turn you away, but things will be a lot smoother if they have your pregnancy on file.

bbvv is offline Registered User

Public hospital will keep your file for 2 years. Not sure whether or not you have to go through the blood tests again for your 2nd pregnancy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast