Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please help! is my baby rejecting the breast?

Kylie is offline Registered User

Please help! is my baby rejecting the breast?

I really need help, for over the last week my nine week old baby has been refusing the breast about ten minutes into her feed. We have never up until now had any problems breast feeding, so I am really upset by this. We have just moved house and my milk was a bit low so I think this is how it started. Its so hard to figure out if she is trying to tell me she is full or if she is not happy. She is also super cranky. We do one formula feed at night but the doctor said this should not interfer with breast feeding. I am so torn as to what to do as she is so happy when i formula feed her at night but miserable when i breast feed. I do not want to give up breast feeding her, I want to make this work but where do you draw the line?

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

It is very possible that giving one formula feed a day, especially when given in a bottle or to a very young baby, can affect your breastfeeding. However, in your case I sounds like your baby may be developing a Nursing Strike.

Have a look at the following web page,
    My Baby Is Suddenly Refusing to Nurse. Does That Mean It's Time to Wean?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

If this doesn’t help I would suggest getting specialized help from a LLL Leader, a Lactation Consultant or a Breastfeeding Clinic. Please feel free to contact me so we can discuss things.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    2548-7636

Chinchilla is offline Registered User

Breastfeeding Clinic

You mentioned a breastfeeding clinic can you give me more details of where this is?
    Chinchilla

joannek is offline Registered User

when she pulls away from your breast, does she look satisfied? or frustrated? if she's full, she should have this satisfied, sleepy look on her face. whereas if you're low on milk, she may pull on your nipple. have you also try shaking your breasts when you're nursing? it also helps the milk flow. just use one or both hands to shake the breast gently.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

Matilda Hospital holds a breastfeeding Clinic on a Monday afternoons. The clinic is run by International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) and each appointment is one hour long. They told me that it usually takes about one hour to fully understand the problem and explain the best techniques to overcome it.

Appointments are made through the Matilda Health Centre 2849 1500

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

Breast Refusal

If it is after 10 mins then maybe baby is full. My first was very good at getting a lot of milk in a short time (that is once she had sorted out how to latch on). We also had reflux issues which could be what your baby is suffering from (I've been reading about silent reflux in which babies hate the sight of breast because they know what will happen if they have a drink).

Good luck.

She is def frustrated, its like she is getting angry at the breast, she has cried more in the last week than since she was born, I am scared she is hungry. She is also not settling or sleeping well. The reason I continue trying to put her on is that her feeds are usually longer. But even after giving breaks today she is totally refusing - unhappy baby, very unhappy mummy!

What is silent reflux? she gets alot of wind and gets the hicups after everyfeed could this be the problem?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast