Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Adventist Lactation Consultants

jaetee is offline Registered User

Adventist Lactation Consultants

For those moms that breastfed/are breastfeeding and delivered at Adventist, were you happy with the breastfeeding advice you received there? Or is there a need to hire a lactation consultant, especially to advise on the first few feeds?

Thanks.

rani is offline Administrator

Jaetee,

I think they were great! Very patient, showed me different nursing positions etc. Only thing I was disappointed about, D had the regular meconium green nappies for the first day or so, but we didn't have any wet nappies for the first 24 hrs. They were afraid he maybe dehydrated. Just felt they were a bit quick to suggest formula. Instead we agreed to give him some water with a spoon. Not sure if there's a LC there, but definitely worth having Mrs Chee or Yvonne Heavyside's (now also a LC) on hand if you need a 2nd opinion.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

acpurples is offline Registered User

I was very happy with their service. Nurses was friendly and willing to help & provided a lot of encouragement to bf moms. My bb was fully bf and their help during my stay has much to contribute. They do have a LC and also will provide you with a hotline when you check out of the hospital.

My bb is now 3.5 months and is still fully bf.

All the best to you!

kashismum is offline Registered User

My experience is slightly different. I had a 'lactation nurse' who was very hands-on. The latch was painful so they gave me nipple shields. I didn't know any better so I tried them. I told them it was painful but I was told some nonsense about me having rather flat nipples or something.
    They were very keen on suggesting I rest and they wanted to feed the baby w/sugar water and I had to really insist that they bring my baby to me during the night for feeds.
    I was red raw by Day 8 when I saw Sarah of LLL who sorted out my positioning. We're still bf but I'll be going to Matilda for #2.

vtcat is offline Registered User

I had blocked ducts, and was nearly very sick. Mrs. Chee saved me, and sorted everything out for us. I am now still breast feeding after 10 months. She is outstanding, and very dedicated. I can't say enough good things about her.

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

i had very high expectations of "pro-breast feedings" by Adventist nurses but the nurses are not created equal! Rosa, Sharon and the Thai nurse (sorry forgot her name!) were the most knowledgeable and encouraging. There's a more mature Chinese nurse who's bedside manner was terrible (I don't think poking me in the breast at 3am and saying "Where's your milk?" is terribly tactful)
    Overall I thought the other nurses were too quick to suggest formula.

My pedi also recommended Mrs Chee who saved me from sinking into depression.

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

Could I have the contact detail for Mrs. Chee ? I didn't have any problem myself on BF, but one of my friend is ready to quit, her baby is now 3 days. I keep on encoraging her and shared my experience, but doesn't seems to work. Don't know what else to do.
    Please send Mrs. Chee's contact.

Bear Lau:

rani is offline Administrator
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast