Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Which bottles/nipples for newborns?

carang is offline Registered User

we never had a problem with nipple confusion either. my boy got both from about one week. we tried the cup feeding but at 4am after being up and down most of the night, we just couldn't hack it any more. we also found that there was much less wastage with the bottle than with the cup feeding. never had a syringe, but if we had, we probably would have used that.

we tried avent, but that was the ONLY bottle/nipple that he didn't like.

bbc mom is offline Registered User

The bottles with the "wings" are called Pigeon and are also available at Mannings.

We also started off with Avent and all seemed well, but after a few weeks he started to refuse the bottle. We then switched to many other brands such as Dr Brown, tommy tippee, chicco, mothercare, nuk, pigeon but with little success. In the end, I gave up on the bottles altogether, but if you have to return to work then you will need to persevere. Good luck.

carang is offline Registered User

yeah, that's what they are...pigeon... thanks bbcmom!

jaetee is offline Registered User

Thanks for all the replies and recommendations. I am hoping I can breastfeed (I am a first time mommy to be, and have no friends or relatives who have done it before, so no one to ask advice from) - I was hoping to pump after a few weeks just so DH and others could help with feeding.

I am planning to bottle feed maybe once a day after the initial few weeks so would greatly appreciate any/all advice. :)

P.S. Still trying to decide on the right pump to use, so I welcome suggestions. :)

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

Read up on breastfeeding. As a first time Mum, you can get worn down by 'well-meaning' nurses who encourage you to formula feed. Basically breast feeding is about supply & demand - the more you offer your breast to your baby, the more your breasts will create milk.

I actually wish I had bought a pump BEFORE I gave birth - a) to familiarise myself with it b) I needed to up my milk production.
    It seems most likely most people pump early on - to build up your milk supply - you can easily freeze the milk and store up so that DH and others can help with feeds. I use Avent Isis Ono or something like that name - it was recommended by Mrs Chee (my lactatioh consultant) - it costs around $1100 (Bumps2babes) or $1500 (mothercare) and has a manual pump AND an electric pump (single).

Recommended sites:
    http://kellymom.com
    http://www.mother-2-mother.com/

jaetee is offline Registered User

Thanks somebody famous. I called B2B, but they are now charging $1500 for that pump, which seems a bit expensive. Do you pump often, or just occasionally? I am wondering if I can just use a manual pump, if I wont be pumping more than once a day.

Did Mrs. Chee work with you at the hospital, or not until you went home?

Thanks for the suggestions. :)

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

I pump 2~3 times a day. Depends how much your breasts is 'pumpable'.
    She came to see me at Adventist then saw me the day after we came home.

when is yr baby due? as a suggestiuon, you could see which other local mums-to-be to meet up & get breastfeeding support. check meet and greet section of forums here.

AC/BC is offline Registered User

The manual (non-electric) pump is much much cheaper than $1000 and is easy to use once your milk is flowing well. I don't think you should be pumping before birth (if that's what was being suggested) because your new baby needs the first milk for early development.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast