Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

montessori versus traditional prep school

lkho is offline Registered User

Shahirakk;

No problem about PM'ing me.

chubbysan is offline Registered User

Hi

Anyone has any experience with the International Montessori at Wanchai? Understand that they have eng/putonghua, so planning to send my girl when she 3yr old.

Tks,

Karishma is offline Registered User

i have a friend who put her 3 yr old at the Woodlands in Tai Tam and she said it was HORRIBLE! the teacher clearly had no patience and many a times my friend would pop in 5-10 mins earlier than his pick up time so she cud stay outside the class and observe him and she said the teacher was rude and snappy! she even complained to the principal abt it and was shocked that the response she got to that was 'i know, we hv recd that compaint b4 and we r working on it.' she pulled her son out immidiately. cos it was clear they had no interest and just wanted to make money! she had the same issue of them owing her money after repeated reminders she called them one day and threatened to file legal action and she got her cheque in one week!!!

not sure why they have become so uninterested in the system. maybe all they r really interested is the money making aspect cos its clearly not cheap!!!!

shahirakk is offline Registered User

schools - esf / similar

:alien: that sounds awful - I have been on hols so not had a chance to check the messages here. I have heard better things about 98 Repulse Bay so may stick with that & do the mandarin separately.Wha are others doing?

Has anyone got any ideas about schools - would like to follow british system.Which are the best esfs? I know you have to go to the one in your area but has anyone got experiences to share.

Shahira KK

shahirakk is offline Registered User

just thought I would do an update. Very happy with 98 Repulse Bay for the playgroup but son is now ready for stepping stones class but I have some reservations. I really want to do a morning class as this works better for my son. The nearest place is Woodlands Tai Tam. Anyone got children in the stepping stones class/ anywhere not too far away from The Repulse Bay that they are happy with. Being in playgroup is one thing but am quite anxious about leaving my 2 year old and want him to get one-on-one time with the teacher. Additionally, as he is just starting to say words I do want him to be interacting with someone whose English is clear and precise. Any ideas gratefully received.

Shahira KK

carang is offline Registered User

if you are having a problem getting moneys owed to you, threaten to contact the education dept. and take legal action. they could get into serious trouble for not refunding what is due to you.

met_74 is offline Registered User

woodland Tai Tam

I have very good experiences with the woodland montessori tai tam. My youngest son is in steppingstones (will be going to pre-school in Jan.) and my oldest son is in pre-school. At first they weren both going to the Sunshine House but that was a disaster. I still don't know why my son hated it so much. Maybe the fact he had homework at age 3,3 years did not help. And the fact there is more learning and less playing in that school. Anyway we were at a point that my son was crying every day, not wanting to go to school and my youngest son did not like the playgroup so I had to carry him in the school cause he refused to go in by himself. Then in the middele of the year I moved them both to Woodland Montessori Tai Tam. What a difference! They are both very happy to go to school.
    The teachers are nice and the headteacher is always open for anything. For instance: they really look at the child when it is ready to go to stepping stones or pre-school. My son is almost 3 years and still he is in stepping stones because he is not ready for pre-school. Other kids are 2,5 when they start pre-school, it reallly depents on the child rather then age.

Anyway, if you have anymore questions I am happy to answer them.

met_74 is offline Registered User

Oh regarding lanquage; the steppingstones teacher was american but now there is a new teacher and she is Italian. So not native english speaking. If you want more one on one time then I suggest you do the 11-13 class since that is a small class (around 4 children). Morning class is more popular around 10 children. I started with my son in the 11 am class because of the size of the class. After a few months I transferred him to the morning class.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast