Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

montessori versus traditional prep school

shahirakk is offline Registered User

montessori versus traditional prep school

started looking at schools and been really impressed with woodlands group - I wonder what you all think about montessori versus traditional methods of teaching? Have any of you got children going to 98 Repulse Bay, Repulse Bay/Tai Tam montessoris and what do you think about these places. Be really eager to hear your experiences WARTS and all!!!

Then, how do you decide on schools/ when is a good time to start getting yoru child's name down?

Be really useful to hear your ideas on this

Shahira KK

rani is offline Administrator

My little guy started at a Montessori playgroup at around 2, and we moved him to ESF kindy at 3.5. IMO, I don't see a difference in the method of teaching between the two. Most pre-schools have adopted a "learning through play" curriculum. Also have a look at Tutor Time in Tai Tam.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

lkho is offline Registered User

My son went to Woodlands Montessori at 98 Repulse Bay for a few months last year, and took the bus to-from school. We chose it because it was close to our house and offered English/Putonghua. In reality, DS's Putonghua was much more advanced than the other students, and the Putonghua-speaking teacher, while pleasant was not the lead teacher so DS did not get much reinforcement of his language skills. But that is not the complaint.

His class had only 12 or so students and 4 teachers; in theory this is excellent. In reality, he came home three times with a cut lip, bruises or scratches, and although I asked the bus monitors (in person), and the teachers, no one was able to explain what happened. While I accept children have accidents and certainly don't blame anyone for that, I do expect that the adults in charge be somewhat aware of what the children are up to.

I visited and spent the better part of a morning with the class and saw that although there were four teachers, they could not even direct the children to the tables for special snacks. There were sharp voices and snatching (by the teacher!) DS was in a Montessori centre before we came to Hong Kong with a higher student:teacher ratio but a much more organised and calm environment. On the whole, I believe the philosophy is good, but what I have learned is not all Montessori classrooms are the same, and it depends very much on the teacher, much more so than in a 'traditional' classroom.

Also, a number of times, on other matters, I called and left messages that were not returned. We moved DS to a different, traditional school that is much more professionally run. To top it all off, it has been over a year, and Woodlands still owe us money.

YMMV

newbies is offline Registered User

My daughter was in Woodland (Happy Valley) over the last summer school. The administrative part was screwed up i.e. you don't get notified on the school bus schedule until the very lastminuste before u start school, return call was always overdue and like lkho said if they owe you money (big or small) it will take forever to get it back.

The homeroom teacher was great but eventually she left for holiday after 2 weeks of teaching... Anyway, my DD didn't like that school so we continue her in the local school. Anyway, just some bad experience that I and my friend had encountered over the last summer.

Last edited by newbies; 12-06-2006 at 05:37 PM.

joannek is offline Registered User

i had a trial session of playgroup at woodland montessori repulse bay when JY was 12 mths. the teacher was snappy & not very nice & didn't like the child roaming around at cirlce time, she said, "it's be easier for all of us if you hold her". i thought it was JY's first time in a new environment i'd rather let her explore & not force her with circle time. so i never went back. and then although we were suppose to take of our shoes in that area, the school staff was walking around the play area on in shoes.

Bizeemama is offline Registered User

Montessori is fairly well implemented in all good early childhood setting's these days. Most places talk about using the Montessori Method in thier parent blurb! A friend of mine in Australia had an issue whereby the Montessori school she had her son at for three years, did not have a propper montessori trained teacher. If teacher's are snapping and asking you to restain your child during circle time, I would seriously question qualifications to ensure you are getting the Montessori education that you are supposedly paying for! Unfortunately titles get splashed on things to make them seem better than they really are sometimes, the precise same thing is happening with all the schools jumping on the IB bandwagon at present. They use the words because it makes them look pro active and they can get more dollars for them!

rani is offline Administrator

Lkho,

We had a similar experience. My son was at a small Montessori playgroup, with only six kids. The teacher told me he wasn't socializing w/others and also gave me a list of things he wasn't able to do (which I knew he could) cos he asked for help. Later realised he was being bullied and the other kids were leaving him out. Hence, he was often found playing on his own. And when he asked for help, he may just have needed a bit of attention or someone to talk to.

Anyway, the whole experience was an eye-opener. Now I know, I should trust my own instincts.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

shahirakk is offline Registered User

iklho - would you mind if I PM you? Interesting to hear about the bilingual not making that much difference - is there enough bilingual? Has anyone got any experience of the TAI TAM woodlands school. I know it is fairly new but really liked the lead teacher there.

Shahira KK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast