Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why solid intake reduce?

chubbysan is offline Registered User

Why solid intake reduce?

hi mummies,

I started introduce solid to my bb when she turned 6 mos old. When we first started, I was so happy cos my bb is taking solid v well and she seem to love it so much that she doesnt need to breastfeed after meal.

But just within 3 wks into giving her solid, she slowly showing disinterest in her meal and reduce in the amount of solid she take as well. And now she still need to be breastfeed after her meal.

why is she behaving this way? i thought that i could reduce the nos of breastfeed, but don seem so now. Is this usually the case? I try to give her diff food, but still, she doesnt take much

What can i do to make her eat more so that i could reduce the nos of breastfeed now? she is now 7mos old.

tks,

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

It is usually recommended that you breastfeed before the solids while your baby is still under 12 months. This is because the breast milk is a much better food for your baby than any solids you can offer.

It sounds like you may have reduced the breastfeeding too much and your baby isn’t getting her sucking needs answered. She is really clever because she’s already worked out that if she refuses the solids she’ll get more breast milk and therefore more sucking.

Often babies of this age will wake up a lot more at night when they are given too much solids in the day. Again their cleverness has worked out that you are more likely to breastfeed them and so get their sucking need satisfied at night than during the day.

SARAH

capital is offline Banned

Yes, I agree, it sounds like you have a very smart baby, she know how to get what she needs.The breastmilk is much more important than the solids. When starting solids, it is more about learning a new way of eating, learning to move food with the toungue, how to swallow increasing texture, the amount is less important, as she gets oldder she will show more interest again. I have found both of my children did not show much interest until they were old enough to pick up the food themselves, around 8 months.They never did eat the really purreed food, because by 8 months you can use mashed food.

hi sarah,

u r right, now she seem to wake up more often than she used to when she was younger. During the early months, she can sleep thru till 5am then she wake up for her milk feed. but now, she is up more frequents for milk. Some day, i can feed her 3 times in the middle of the night.

:(

sharon_r_p is offline Registered User

hello chubbysan,
    dont worry,
    i have exactly the same problem! my baby started solids almost 6 weeks ago, she is almost eight months now and is suddenly not interested in solids at all anymore!

i gave her the breast milk right after she ate so she wouldnt feel like i was taking it away!!!!... but still i got the same solution, and she always wakes up at night! aren't solids dupposed to make them fuller???

from what i understand it gets better with time... right?????

Aren't solids supposed to make them fuller???

Solids are likely to take your baby longer to digest than breast milk because breast milk is one of the easiest things for a baby to digest. But taking longer to digest doesn’t necessarily mean that the baby will sleep longer – he may wake up more because he finds the digestion harder!

Most solids that we first introduce to babies (veg., fruit, rice cereal) don’t have very many calories in them. The breast milk is likely to have more calories than the solids.

Generally until the baby reaches a year old we usually recommend that you breastfeed first and then supplement with the solids. This way you know that the baby is getting as much of the best food as possible.

hi sarah,

i tot we shd slowly drop the nos of breastfeed once baby started solid?? I read Gina Ford book that once baby is taking enough solid, we can drop the lunch n dinner feed?

When we start solids the idea is to introduce a different type of eating to the baby – not to replace the breastfeeds. Ideally the baby will start taking some solids along with the existing breastfeeds. Slowly the amount of solids the baby takes will increase and the amount of milk will decrease but the number of feeds usually stays the same. Of course eventually the baby will be taking all solids and no milk but often will continue to have a similar number of meals. It is recommended that a two year old baby still have at least six meals a day – whether these are solid meals, milk meals or best a mixture of the two.

Miss Ford has many good suggestions in her books. She also makes many suggestions which can cause problems with successful breastfeeding.

One thing it is important to remember about different babies and different families is that they are different. Some babies will be happy to follow Miss Ford’s regime but for the next baby it will cause problems. Likewise some mothers will feel very happy on Miss Ford’s regime and the next mother will be totally unable to cope with it.

When making decisions for your baby it is important to look to your baby and see how she is managing with things. For example, if she starts to wake up more at night then it could easily because the solids were replacing breastfeeds too quickly. Whatever new step you and your baby take watching her reaction will be the best guide to whether or not it was a a timely step or one that needed taking more slowly.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast