Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Help - our domestic helper is pregnant

Bubbly is offline Registered User

Hi Nina,

I really feel bad for you, and I can really understand how stressed out you must be about this situation.

My family has been hiring Philipino maids for over 30 years now, and to be honest (without sounding mean), we have learnt that a lot of them are heartless and lie about their situations etc. By the sound of your case, I really think that your maid should be responsible about it all and you should talk to her and hopefully get her to leave. It is really no use feeling bad about this as you hired her to take care of your baby and should not be having to worried about how you are going to have her baby and yours to look after too.

Maybe you can work out an arrangement where you do not pay her for the few months leading to the birht of her baby until the time when she has sorted out the situation and found someone to take care of her baby. You can agree to let her come back to work for you once all that is sorted.

It is seriously not a good idea to let her baby stay with her in your place since we all know which baby she will take care of more!

Hope all goes well for you.

Wally is offline Registered User

pay her out and get a new one! will you have to pay for her medical and hospital fee if she continues ?

carang is offline Registered User

no, she should have bought insurance that would cover it. it is illegal not to have insurance for the helper. although, if she hasn't got insurance, then YES, she has to pay for it. even so, public hospitals are not expensive at all.

geiboyi is offline Registered User

I can't imagine DH insurance would cover maternity stuff - but basically it's almost free to have a baby here (as long as she has an ID card - if not she's breaking the law anyway...), so that's the least of anyone's worries.

carang is offline Registered User

that's what i was thinking... the actual "cost" in $$$ is far less worrisome than what this family is going to do with no help. what if she has a problem pregnancy? that was my concern when my helper went back to PH last april when her hubby was also at the end of his contract. i asked her if she was hoping to get pregnant again. she said that she'd been thinking about it. i told her that we were planning on trying around June and that it would be terrible if she was preggers at the same time because i knew what kind of pregnancy to expect for myself.

i was right, this pregnancy has been sheer hell. i am very thankful that she didn't get pregnant, because there is NO WAY we would have been able to cope.

ps. i'm pretty sure that the insurance that we bought covered hospitalisations. it didn't specify what the hospitalisation was for though. and it would only have covered the minimal cost of public hospitals anyway. i didn't mean that the insurance would cover the costs at the matilda.

AndreaY is offline Registered User

Exactly the same thing happened to us, but luckily I was not pregnant at the time. My hubby and I decided to keep our maid, on the following reasoning: 1) She was pleasant and we felt sorry for her, 2) There is no guarantee that your next maid would not get pregnant during employment unless she is past menopause, and it is much less likely that your maid would get pregnant again knowing the trouble she is in, 3) She would need money to look after her baby, so would need to have to work even harder, and 4) It'd probably take just as long choosing and hiring a new maid as waiting for her to come back after she has given birth.

Anyway, she was also afraid to tell her parents but we convinced her that it is not really plausible for her to have the baby in Hong Kong and she would need her family support in looking after the baby in Phillippines. She was very grateful and reassured when she knew that she still had a job to come back to, she managed to sort it out with her family very quickly after that.

Since she was pregnant when she started her employment with us, we did not have to pay for her maternity leave. Although she had to leave for 3-4 months and it was a real nuisance, we have not regretted our decision. She has been with us for over 6 years now and looks after our baby almost like her own, even volunteered to stay in to help on Sundays (paid of course) during our baby's first 8 months.

May not be the solution for everyone, but since we found our maid to be hardworking and pleasant, we decided not to ask/bribe her to leave. As anticipated, she has not gotten pregnant again and works hard to send money home for her daughter. Hope that gives you an alternative view.

cckwok is offline Registered User

Exactly the same thing happened to me 3 years ago but luckily I was not pregnant and without small kid at that time. It happened just after we started our 3rd contract when she came back from Philippines. At first, she said she wants to continue her employment with me and give birth in HK (but I knew she won't). After negotiation, she asked for $$$$ (I can't remember how much). Finally, she rendered her resignation and we paid her HKD10,000 at the airport (my agent taught me never give her before check in).

bornandbredhk is offline Registered User

Domestic Helpers Medical Insurance

On this subject, where can I purchase domestic helpers medical insurance? Does anyone know of a company that provides this?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast