Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bugaboo - when to change from carry cot to seat

pattersl is offline Registered User

Bugaboo - when to change from carry cot to seat

Hi,

Our 3month old seems to be a long baby as she has almost outgrown the Bugaboo Carry Cot, anyone know when the appropriate time is to move from the Carry Cot and start to use the seat attachment?

THANKS!!!

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Hi,

We stopped using the carry cot part when our son was 8 weeks old, he was really alert at this age and we wanted him to be able to look around and see the world, so changed to the seat part then. He's also a very big baby and had almost outgrown the carry cot at 7 weeks- length and weight wise!

He's now 3 months next week and loves being able to see everything. I still have the seat part facing me, will turn it around when he's a little older.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

bugaboo

we changed from the carry cot to the seat at approx 4 months. We might have changed earlier if we hadn't been scared off by the warnings on the bugaboo to change at 6 months. Just make sure your baby's kneck is strong and keep it on the incline for as long as you need.

I don't think the warning is saying don't change before 6 months; I think it is saying (just how I interpreted it) that carry cot is not safe for babies at/after six months as this is when a lot will start to sit by themselves and this is of course dangerous in the carry cot.

I agree with making sure baby has a strong neck- our son's neck was pretty strong by 8 weeks, and by ten weeks he pretty much had head control.

Marjaana is offline Registered User

We used cot up to 5 months. I understand your point here and your will to allow a little one to see around him. However, I would pay attention to baby's back development. I have always hated those adjustable car seats/infant carriers that work with both, your stroller and car. People don't seam to realize that keeping a baby in half seeted position all the time may not be that good for him/her back. Actually, Graco, that is a swedish brand (and I came from Scandinavia too) says that you should not keep your child in a car seat/baby carrier over 45 minutes at once. Sure there is exceptions when you have to travel longer. However, manufacturer pays attention to this back development issue and is not really recommending long use of the car seat. i think it's alarming that people ride their cars first keeping their child in a car seat/baby carrier and then keep going for hours in a shopping mall by pushing their little ones in that same position and same seat. Baby really needs a break and good resting position. I don't wonder if we're racing a generation of potato sack here... So if I was you, i would allow my child enough time to develope his back.

I used to live in US, and as great country it is, I think huge consumerisim goes way over the health issues sometimes. More inportant thing seem to be inventing clever products for people that like buying and buying. They just go for it without thinking consequenses. Products just come accepted buy consumers and using them becomes a general way of doing things.... Like pushing baby carrier around the city after driving for hours first. No one even thiks there might be something wrong with it. Such a clever product!

I notice you're australian. I wrote about my experiences in US because that is the place where I got my first experiences about bogaboo stroller and bogaboo is very popular stroller over there. I'm not sure how hot item it is in Australia and if people are acting same way as they are in America. Hope people think more responsibly in Australia and cool products are not only about consumerisim and way of making own life easy, but about the baby too.

I understand what you are saying- but we use our bugaboo with the car seat when we are going to be travelling in a taxi because I refuse to get in a taxi without my baby in a car seat. To me carrying a baby in a car/taxi not in a car seat is very dangerous and if I was ever in a taxi that crashed I want my baby strapped safetly into his car seat!

Most of the time however my son is in the seat part of his bugaboo which supports his back just fine, as much as any other stroller does. In fact most of the time he hates to be lying down when awake and if you try to lie him down on you he will pull himself up to a sitting position by himself, so think his back is strong enough.

I brought the bugaboo, not for my own selfish reasons, but for my baby's sake-
    1). Comfort, as a small baby he has the comfort of the carry cot, allowing us to switch to the seat when his back and neck are strong enough ( we made sure both were before we switched). Not only that but it provides an extremely smooth ride for baby, he hardly feels any bumps etc.
    2). The fact that we could attached the car seat to the frame, allowing us to take him in a taxi/car as we needed.

We should be encouraging the use of car seats in Hong Kong, which unbelievably has no laws making them mandatory when travelling in a car etc., rather than the other way around.

You totally misunderstood me. Of course you use baby carrier as long as you can (baby fits into one), and proper safety seat (designed for bigger children) after that, when traveling in a car!!!! No question about it! It is really important!! I never said you should not place your child into a car seat or babycarrier when taking a car ride!!!!! I never, never took my baby for a car ride without baby carrier/safety seat when she fitted into one. Never. I always carried both, bogaboo stroller (with a cod up to 5 month)and baby safety seat. Wasnt't fun, but was safe. I just carried them both wanting absolutely best for my little one.

Now I have been trying to find all kind of solutions to take a safe car ride after she grew out of the carrier (at the age of 11 month) and next models (safe ones) are hard to take a long when taking a cab. You all know how big those seat are that are designed for bigger children. You can't really carry one unless you have a place to keep it at the final destination. In addition, you need somebody to help you. If we only had our own car at use, this would be no problem. I would never allow my child to travel in our own car without being properly seated in a safety seat. Now I feel awful for not being able to do it safest way when taking a taxi. We use baby seatbelt west or we place bogaboo seat on to taxi's seat and attach it tightly with taxi's seatbelt. Awful, but better than nothoing. However, what I said here was that you were not supposed to keep your child in same position for hours. And yes, when talking about really small babies, they should have proper rest position during their nap or so. My message here was to advice using cod as long as you can just to support proper back develompment. I didn't say you should not use safety seat!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast