Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Excma

ninahudd is offline Registered User

ELT, glad you checked too, just being cautious.

Jo Bowd, where do you get the Oilatum and Epsom Salts from? Our bubs has had another flare up only 2 or 3 weeks after the last one. Pulling our hair out trying to get it sorted and really dont want to use steroid cream again (especially not so soon).

aohman is offline Registered User

Rose Hip Oil

One other thing I could recommend is pure rose hip oil. It stains clothing a bit, but I found that it was very effective. While it didn't make the eczema go away completely, it truly kept it manageable and at times, the ezcema would be dormant for longer periods of time. You need to massage it into the skin, btw. My child has been eczema free for some time.

YKY
    YKY is offline Registered User

my son is 4 months old and has eczema. My pd recommended a dermatologist who prescribes 2 baths per day with oilatum and aqueous cream followed by cetaphil and steriods. Everyone i have spoken with tells me that we should decrease the number of baths. I am reluctant to keep using steriods but it's difficult not to especially around the chin area where it's extra dry because he is drooling. I'm thinking of changing formulas from Enfamil to something else. Can anyone recommend a formula that's worked? Also, any good dermatologists out there for babies? thanks.

YKY

JoanneK, can you recommend your homeopath?

joannek is offline Registered User

yky
    that's the number to call. his name is dr.yuan. he's a bit extreme regarding vaccinations, but very good in treating children.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

hi yky

My son also has eczema. He is going to be 5 months in a week.
    His case is not too bad as he only has rashes on his body and face. There were a couple times when he had slight inflammation but we could always control the situation after applied non-steroid medicated cream (we would only use the steroid cream when he is super itchy or when his skin is inflammed). I have heard cases where the mum found blood all over the clothes, so we are grateful our's is just very irritated and look 'sun-burned' every now and then. We see 2 pds and they both reassured us that most babies who suffered from eczema would be free from it after 6 to 12 months.

Regarding the medicated cream, we are using Elidel which is a controversal topic... some tests showed that Elidel can cause skin cancer so it is not recommended for children below 2 yrs' of age. That's what it says in the manufacturer website too. However, on the package of the cream I got in HK, it says it is safe for infants. I checked with the 2 pds we go to and they both said there is nothing to worried about. One of the pds said the test result was based on long term exposure to huge dosage so it is not reflective of actual scenarios where we'd just use it for a few days and only when there's outbreak of rashes. He also said Elidel when released was answer to a lot of prayers from people who suffered from eczema as it is the most effective non-steroid cream. If you search on the Internet, you will find very extreme views about the cream.

I don't feel comfortable recommending Elidel because some says it should not be used on infants but I would strongly recommend parents whose infants has eczema to ask their pds about it... just to know more and have an option aside from creams with steroid.

YKY

thank you, joannek! at this point, i'm willing to try a lot of things.

YKY

ELT, thanks. I'll ask my pd and dermatologis about Elidel. Are you not seeing a dermatologist? My pd referred us to a dermatologist. The dermatologist recommended two baths using aqueous cream and Cetaphil as well as steriods for the affected areas. How often do you bathe your son?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Scroll to top