Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My 6 month Old Refuses Solids

Lav
    Lav is offline Registered User

My 6 month Old Refuses Solids

Any mothers out there who have had babies that refuse solids at 6 months?
    Have been trying to wean my daughter but she refuses the solids.
    Have only tried rice cereal(several brands) with milk and with water and also tried Pear Puree but nothing. She moves her face away, cries histerially and clenches her lips shut anytime a spoon comes near her mouth.
    I dont know what to do. Should i keep trying or should i give her a break?
    Has anybody had similar experiences?
    Please Help!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

My third child wasn’t interested in eating solids. I started to offer them at six months but he just turned his head away. So I left it for another week and tried again. Still he wasn’t interested. I kept trying once or twice a week and when he was nearly eight months he started to be interested and ate solids most days after that.

I found sitting him on my knee with his back against my front and bringing the spoon towards him like I was feeding myself helped. Also offering food he could hold in his own hands.

I didn’t offer baby rice because I think it tastes horrible and wanted my children to eat food I like. So they usually started with soft fruit or vegetables, sweet potatoes, yams, mango, bananas, etc.

I know lots of babies who have started solids late (one who didn't start until 10 months) and they all learnt to eat food in the end. Don’t worry if your baby is a slow starter – it isn’t a stage of her life that she is likely to miss!

Best wishes,
    Barb

Mootje is offline Registered User

Maybe she doesn't like the spoon in her mouth. You try her to "play" with a plastic spoon. But be carefull, keep an eye on her while she is doing this.

kellyst is offline Registered User

it's all normal... it's such a new thing to them, different taste, different texture in the mouth. i think wait a week/a few days and try it again... just takes some time for her to get used to it.

don't rush it as she just turns 6mths... i didn't think my baby really moved to solids regularly until 8-9mths.. it takes quite a bit of time for her to get used to it and she still turns her head away from the spoon now (at 16mths!) lol

Lav
    Lav is offline Registered User

well i tried again this morning and no luck. I think i will have to wait a week and try again. Should i try cereal or pear again? Or should i try something new? Am so lost and confused!

kellyst is offline Registered User

Lav, don't worry too much. you can vary things you try and i would suggest waiting a week. last thing you want to do is to turn her off food all together, just would suggest to just take your time. if she doesn't want it and cries, just let her out, and try it later. they don't ALL start AT 6 mths, my daughter did really pick it up at until 9-10mths.. which is also absolutely fine...

i saw another mom who said her baby still wouldn't take solids at over 1yr old, and the girl is still thriving and looking good.. so don't worry :)

funnychamp is offline Registered User

No worries, keep trying but don't force..

bbvv is offline Registered User

My son turned 6mths yesterday and we gave him some solids a couple of weeks ago on a weekly basis. The problem is that he takes the rice cereal from my finger and not from the spoon. The spoon is soft (silicon) and small but when we put it into his mouth, the rice cereal comes out again. Has anyone has any advice on how to encourage babies to eat from a spoon. Fingers are not that hygienic despite washing my hands thoroughly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast