Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

switch international school to local school

Histamin is offline Registered User

switch international school to local school

Does anybody know;
    I've just wonder how can students go to local secondary school when they are studying in international stream which have started primary one for 5 years old already?
    and how many students in international school will go to Hong Kong local univeristies? though it's hard to get in...I've heard..
    Thank you
    Histamin

Vrindavan is offline Registered User

>>go to local secondary school when they are studying in international stream

home schooling is a better option than go to local

>>how many students in international school will go to Hong Kong local univeristies? though it's hard to get in...I've heard.

why ? cheaper ?

because I thought they will get many advantages if they go to universities in Hong Kong for future??
    Am I right?

carang is offline Registered User

no more advantages than if they go to a respected university in another country...

what kind of advantages are you thinking of? and what is your home country?

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

My daughter graduated from the Canadian International School last summer. There were a handful of her class mates who had places at Hong Kong University. Most were going to Canada or the USA.

One reason why Hong Kong U isn’t so popular with them is because they don’t give final acceptances until August. This is much later than the Canadian Universities which give their acceptances in April or May.

I think where the best university is depends what subject you are studying. One of my daughter’s friends is now studying dance in London. Her course is a much better dance course than any in Hong Kong or Canada. Likewise another friend is studying textiles at the Hong Kong PolyU; this is one of the best textile courses in the world.

Most international schools are changing over to the IB now. With this qualification you should be able to get into any university in any country.

Having said that I think it is important that the school your child goes to suits them. This is why my second child will be going to boarding school in England for his last two years of school. The school and the courses he will be taking suit him much better than any school in Hong Kong. I’ve found that each child is different and so it has turned out that each needs different things from school which in my case means different schools.

joannek is offline Registered User

vrindavan, is home schooling an option in hk? i thought every child between age 6-15 has to be attending a school in hk, if not it's against the law.

Thank you for your opinion,
    it is very helpful, how about the students from ESF, does anybody know do they also have many ones had accepted in Hong Kon University?
    Histamin

geiboyi is offline Registered User

Yes, home schooling is not legal in hk.