Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GSIS K1 Interview

courtbas is offline Registered User

GSIS K1 Interview

Hello,

Anyone had experience with the GSIS K1 interview you could share? Much appreciated.

mum of 2 is offline Registered User

Not sure if it helps, but my daughter did the K2 assessment last year. In so far as I can tell (how reliable is feedback from a 3 year old?); they just chatted to the children, observed them play, use crayons, scissors etc. From the school, I was given the impression that English language skills were the key thing that they were looking for. Assume that K1 is similar.

Thanks mum of 2. Their pass rate is very low. I heard is around 30%. I wonder how they set the criteria on language as I imagine most of the children who apply there can speak fluent English. Do you know? Did your daughter get a place last year?

She did. I'm not sure that the majority of applicants are native speakers, juging by the group with which she applied. We were the only Europeans, remainder Chinese, and although all paents were speaking English to the children, it was clear that English was not their first language at home.

Did you enroll her into the school? If so, what do you think of the school and the teachers?

We are native speakers. But my little girl is very shy. She doesn't speak much in front of strangers. I am just a little worried about her going to the interview. If she doesn't speak, there is no way to demonstrate her language ability. Any tips?

We decided against it, but friends who enrolled their children there are very happy there. In terms of 'tips', I'd just get there a little early to make sure that your child is relaxed. Not more than half an hour or so before your appointment time, because there is no big waiting area. Hopefully, she will meet one or two of the other children in her assessment group and have a little play time with them before they all go into the teachers. Then the 'supervised' playtime will seem like a natural extension of this.

The one thing that would not have worked for us was briefing her on to things to say. Some of the aprents had obviously been training thier children for the 'interview' and spent the time in the waiting area rehearsing answers with their 3 year olds. The parents' tension obviously rubbed off on the children and two of them cried and cried and never made it inside the door of the classroom.

We just took the view that she would not be happy there if we 'groomed' her for a school for which she is not suitable. I suspect the school is pretty good at detecting that too. I think the teachers are used to shy children and try little tricks to help them relax. They say hello to them while they are waiting, admore their clothes etc. (worled a treat for my daughter). Good luck.

may
    may is offline Registered User

You can send your daugther to GSIS summer school and maybe you can have an idea of this school. My son joined this programme last summer and he enjoyed very much.

hkrcac is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by may View Post
    You can send your daugther to GSIS summer school and maybe you can have an idea of this school. My son joined this programme last summer and he enjoyed very much.
    Hi,

What is the GSIS summer school? How do they accept applications?
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast