Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mixed feedback on hospitals - any advice!!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

One of my very good friends had her last two children there (she’s since moved back to live in Canada). She found the experience OK. It is very similar to the Queen Mary – both are huge public hospitals and there isn’t really much to choose between them.

Usually you just go to your nearest public hospital.

I know a number of mothers from DB who have gone to both Queen Mary and Pamela Youde and one who went to Princess Margaret (because it was the closest and the ambulance drivers didn't think she'd make Queen Mary even though she was booked there!)

beetoy is offline Registered User

urh... just confused.. correct me if i am wrong - thought if you choose public you HAVE to go to the nearest hospital from your home? ie. if you live in Kenndy Town then definitely TYH/QMH?

carang is offline Registered User

if you do go public, buy your wife an IPOD video. it was fantastic to have for all of the appts plus for my time in hospital.

sorry, no experience with PAMELA YOUDE....

stepheninhk is offline Registered User

my local work colleagues said that i can book in at PYH if i like as sh called them, so i guess i could. my only real concern at QMH is that it has a lot of students - isnt this a cause for concern?

now i read that queen elizabeth is also meant to be quite good!!

rani is offline Administrator

Beetoy,

If you reside on HK Island or an outlying island you can go to either Pamela Youde or Tsan Yuk/QM.

Have a read through this thread:

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117828

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

beetoy is offline Registered User

thanks Rani, good to know
    Stepheninhk, yes I saw student doctors all the time during my consultations, but they were only sitting beside the Consultant/Professor learning and not doing things directly. I do not mind having them in my consultation sessions because when the Consultant/Professor explains to them in my presence, I also got to learn something possibly new. In the contrary, I like those students.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

I would recommend a Archos rather than an ipod.
    The one I have is model 504, http://www.archos.com/products/video...global&lang=en
    but I see they have a new one as well.

I like this better than an ipod becasue you can record directly from the TV, Cable, now, DVDs and videos, etc. as well as music, podcasts, downloads from the computer and pictures. Also you can play it back on a TV if you want.

Mine has 30 Gbytes and I have all my breastfeeding information on it which means I can show a mother I'm visiting, all my personally stuff, Jolly Phonics for my daughter to watch whenI want her to be quite while we are out, and loads of episodes of CSI which I watch going to work.

jools is offline Registered User

I had a student midwive for my first delivery in the UK. I was asked first whether I minded and said that I didn't. If you have a student they often have more time for you since they are very new to the job and are trying to learn as much as possible. You also always have the back up of the trained professionals as well, so 'two for the price of one'.

Once my son was born I had tremendous problems trying to get him to latch on to breastfeed. The qualified midwives tried everything and nothing seemed to work. Then a student midwife took some time with me and with her calm, gentle approach he started to feed.

I would always say yes to a student. Another plus, as they are currently studying they often have the most up-to-date knowledge available too. They are not set in their ways by years of experience and from my own experience seem to have more time for the patients.

Good luck with wherever you choose.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast