Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Frequency of Stools

my_ldbug is offline Registered User

Frequency of Stools

Hi - can anyone advise as to what is a normal frequency a 10month old should be passing stools? My son has just turned 10 months old but for the last few weeks, he's been passing 4-5 stools per day (previously he only passed stools 2x per day). Sometimes it is hard - comes out like a potato - but most of the time it is loose. He seems to be passing out what he ate in the previous meal and in the early morning passing of stool, it is spinach green. What's up with all this stool? Is this normal?

I'm getting worried that he's got a virus or something (but aside from his stools, there are no other outward signs that he's not well - no fever, no rash, still eating well, etc.)

Chy
    Chy is offline Registered User

My son is also 10 months old, and he goes once a day sometimes 2. Now that he's teething, he passes one normal, semi hard but only little in the morning then sometimes a loose, soft one in the late afternoon. I can also identify some of the meal that he's had previously, such as specs of spinach and when he's had baby food, I can smell it for sure. Sounds like your baby is doing fine, I wouldn't get too concerned unless he's passing very liquidy watery stools, that could be a sign of a tummy upset or diarhea. However, you mentioned that he's passing 4-5 times per day, is it really everyday? Perhaps he's digesting faster than before or due to the type of food he's been having. They're so active and energetic at this stage, it wouldn't be surprising that their digestive tract is working faster and harder than before - only guessing. Perhaps give your Dr. a call to just confirm that there's nothing wrong, will put your mind at ease at least.

my_ldbug is offline Registered User

Dear Chy

THanks for sharing your experience....since the posting, my son's bowel movements have become more normal. I figure that it was just a passing thing.

Cheers!