Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

OMG! i think i'm crazy! (flight advice please!)

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

PS- some airlines let baby's travel business class, some don't- bst to ask airline/travel agent.

One of the greatest challenges of travelling alone is getting from check in to plane through immigration etc. as travelling with baby you have so much stuff. I find a baby carrier essential and I try to pack all my hand luggage into one bag.

mum of 2 is offline Registered User

ELT, we flew a lot when our eldest was that age:

1) She was not a huge baby, but easily fit into the bassinet at 8 months, at 10 months it was a bit of a squeeze. With or second (a bigger baby), the bassinet was useless by 10 months and he ended up taking my seat while I either squeezed in beside him or slept on the floor. From that point on, I bought an extra seat for him. So basically, the bassinet should be OK for a small baby.

2) Yes, unless you buy a separate seat and your child can sit in a car seat.

3) I cannot comment, I'm afraid

4) Definitely. The only problem with CX Business Class is that the so called 'flat' beds slope downwards, so virtually useless for children as they keep sliding towards the floor (so do I). They are about to upgrade them, but am guessing that they will start will their most competitive routes (suspect London and New York will be first), so will take a while to roll out across the whole network.

5) Some flight attendants are fantastic, others run a mile. It's pure luck, I'm afraid. They will all heat bottles or food for you, many will keep an eye on the baby while you run to the loo. Some will help you store your bags while you settle the baby. If you're really lucky, they'll store the stroller on board for you (if it's a light one) to save you the trek to the carousel.

6) People vary on this. I err on the side of making the journey as easy as possible and maximising sleep, so I stick as closely as possible to the home routine but never wake a sleeping baby. I save the jetlag adjustments for the ground. If possible I start adjusting a day or 2 before the flight, eg. postponing naps by a few hours to facilitate a late flight and therefore a later bedtime.

7) I always try to feed during take off and descent and it has always worked when they child is awake. In the early days, I underestimated taxi time and she would nod off before the plane took off. I was terrified about earache, but somehow got away with it. If your child has a pacifier/dummy, it may be worth bringing a few along as sucking on anything helps if he/she refuses milk.

8) Sorry, I have no idea.

9) The hand luggage and managing the baby while the older child needs to be taken to the toilet. I also struggle with the luggage trollies and stroller (my eldest is too young to help) . You can overcome this at check-in by hiring a porter, but few airports have porters at the arrivals carousel.

Hope this helps and that someone can answer your other questions. Promise, it's not as awful as you imagine. Usually they are not mobile at that age, so it's really not bad. Good luck!

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

bekyboo4 and mum of 2, THANK YOU!

Really really appreciate your input. The more I know what to anticipate, the more comfortable I am about the idea of flying alone (though I still hope hubby can come along so he can help out during the flight AND in Toronto). Your suggestion about bringing a lightweight stroller on board is great! I do have a bigger than average baby, should I be worried about the bassinet?

carang is offline Registered User

well, i arrived!

the flight in protland was delayed, but not enough to make me miss my connection.

the final flight into Regina was diverted because of a snow storm. we ended up sittin IN THE PLANE on the tarmac of Saskatoon for 4 HOURS!!!!!!!

but all in all, my children were angels! people getting off the plane said they were shocked that there was a 2 year old on the flight. they'd had no idea that he was there!

it took us 36 hours from door to door and out of that, he was grizzly for about 30 minutes! he only slept about 5 hours total.

anyway, will update you more when we return home!

thanks for all the suggestions folks! they really helped!

joannek is offline Registered User

carang, glad to hear that you pulled thru fine.

ELT, i travelled with bub when she was 9 mths & she couldn't fit in the bassinet. i think they're more for infant up to 4 months. it says maximum weight is 10kgs, but that's the safety limit. it's made so that there's no way you can fit someone/somthing in that is more than 10kgs.

babies are allowed on business class on CX. i personally find that it's so much better to travel in business with a bub cos you can change her on the seat & if you put the seat on "sleep posiition" and not fully flat, it's actually quite nice.

joannek is offline Registered User

ELT< when baby's on formula, i follow hong kong feed hours.

drinking does release pressure on the ears. but it depends on the child whether it worked or not. my daughter was fine, but i had a friend's son who was happy drinking away on take-off & landing to bangkok, but on the way back, he was screaming both during take off & landing.

temperature in toronto during april & may, go to weather.com, they have a very good guide on worldwide weathers.

there are a lot of other threads re: flying with baby here on this forum. you can search for them & read. i think a lot of the members gave good insights.

mum of 2 is offline Registered User

ELT, forgot to clarify that when I got my daughter into the bassinet, it was on BA. They have these bouncy chair type things that mean that the child does not have to fit into the dimensions of the folding bassinet. I'm not sure which other airlines offer them, it is certainly worth checking.

I have never had an issue bringing the children in business class (BA, Qantas, SAA, Singapore, Cathay, Cyprus, BMI, Aer Lingus, American, Swiss, Thai). We have even been upgraded to first with them, but again, it is worth checking with the airline as it is a lot of money to spend to then find yourself downgraded.

Carang, glad that the journey went so well. Enjoy your stay (insofar as you can with an ill grandmother).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456