Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visitor Visa-Bringing Helper to Canada

EYE
    EYE is offline Registered User

Visitor Visa-Bringing Helper to Canada

I am planning to have a baby and would like to give birth in Canada. I would like to bring my helper to Canada. Now, her employer is my hubby's name who is a HK citizen and I am still a resident of Canada. In my case, am I against the regulation of pt 5 and cannot bring my maid to Canada with a visitor visa?

According to the information in the Canada Consulate website, it said:

Domestic helpers may apply for entry to Canada as a temporary resident for the purpose of accompanying their employers
    or joining their employers in Canada if the following criteria are met:
    1. the employer is visiting Canada (not residing in Canada) AND
    2. the domestic helper will only be performing his or her regular duties for the employer AND
    3. the total length of stay will not exceed 183 days AND
    4. the domestic helper satisfies normal temporary resident requirements.
    5. Employers who are permanent residents of Canada, who are emigrating to Canada or who are returning to Canada to
    resume permanent residence are not temporary resident and consequently their domestic helpers may not accompany
    them without first obtaining a work permit.

Thanks

EYE
    EYE is offline Registered User

Visitor Visa-Bringing helper to Canada

I missed one important question in my last message. If we bring our helper to Canada, my hubby will not back HK with the helper. The helper will back HK with me. Would the helper has to return HK with her contract employer?

carang is offline Registered User

why don't you call the canadian consulate and the hk immig and ask them? they will be able to provide you with 100% correct answers. here you will get people who are genuinely trying to help, but some of the answers may be incorrect.

for something as important as immigration questions, it is ALWAYS better to go to the source.

joannek is offline Registered User

re: employer accompanying helper to return to HK. u can get your hubby to write a letter stating that DH will be stying in Canada w/ you & return w/ you. bring that letter to apply for the visa & the ppl at the consulate will tell you what to do. (remember to bring that letter w/ you when you enter & exit canada & hk).

that's my case, but my case might be different than yours, cos my hubby is non-resident in C, and i am the employer (a HK resident).

i'd say the safest thing for you to do is, apply for the visa, get all the documents (& more) ready. prepare everything well, so you appear sincere to them & ask the ppl at the consulate. if you're a resident, they're very nice & helpful.

rani is offline Administrator

A friend takes her helper to Canada every summer. She doesn't work, so am assuming the husband is the employer. She tends to leave first with the kids + helper and he follows after a couple of weeks. He also comes home before they do.

Don't you have a HK ID card? Wouldn't that make you a HK resident now?

Agree, its best to contact the Canadian consulate.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

pianokc is offline Registered User

I brought my helper back to have my baby in Canada (SARS year)... I think to bring your helper to Canada, all they looked at was that she has an employment contract with you/husband, and you need a letter indicating WHY you are bringing her, and that you will be fully supporting her accomodation, food, travel/medical insurance, and any other necessary financial needs..... and proof of a return air ticket.

If your helper has no criminal record, and has worked for you for at least 3 months, they will most likely issue a 6 month tourist visa for her. She also can extend it (apply it at least) to extend for another 6 months if she wants to.

What happened with me was my helper never came back with me. On the night before we were to depart Canada with my newborn, she told me " i am staying here, I applied for extension/renewal of my visa".

We were really angry... and worried we were responsible in some way b/c I sponsored her over....

But I called the immigration and consulted a lawyer at that time, and they said, if she decides to stay, it's not my problem. It's her free will. That I have NO legal responsiblity at all after the helper and I both signed the release letter.

My helpers contract was finishing in the month that we were leaving. She chose NOT to renew with us to stay in Canada.

My friends who bring their helpers over to Canada every summer, doesn't have any problems with the visa.

But like others have suggested, best to consult the Canadian Consulate.

Good luck!

joannek is offline Registered User

there is also a chance of your helper choosing to stay in Canada. i've got friends who DH went to Canada with them on holiday, and met someone on the street, and decided to stay, went home to my friend & told her she resigns.

then there's another one that actually disappeared after her holiday out.

mintycat is offline Registered User

I am a Canadian citizen and my husband has a British passport. I took my helper to Canada with my 1 year old last year to visit my parents. My husband didn't join us until later. My husband is the employer. He submitted a letter to the Canadian consulate saying that we had to bring a helper to Canada to help take care of the baby. It was granted very quickly. While we were there, I kept her passport. She told me she didn't want to take days off while she was there because she didn't know anyone. I just paid her back on those days she worked. We took her out with the baby all the time so she was able to do sightseeing and shopping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast