Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any function that my son can get close to foreigner kids?

qqcute is offline Registered User

Any function that my son can get close to foreigner kids?

Any function that my son can get closed to foreigner kids?

I am Chinese and I live in Hong Kong when I was born.
    I wish my son can approach all different kinds of people, I would like to join the rugby or something else for him. But, I have no idea how can he get friend with the foreigner kids in Hong Kong.
    May you please give me some hints where can I join any club, course or playgroup that foreigner kids always go there?
    Many thanks.

msmslau is offline Registered User

How old is your son? Is your primary objective to have your son speak fluent English or have him appreciate different cultures or something else?

If former, there are plenty of english playgroups that cater to your needs.

If latter, perhaps you can try enrolling him in an international school or asking those schools for recommendation? If you are a christian, there are churches that are comprised of multicultural congregation.

Culturally speaking though, HK is not like a melting pot in the US. So finding the multicultural enviornment is not as easy as you think. I could be wrong tho since I've not lived in HK for a long time.

Hi, Msmslau,

Thank you very much for your response. My son is almost 4 years old. I do hope he can speak fluent English, he is good at listening in English, however, he can’t speak in it too much. Also, I wish he can communicate with the foreigners too and don’t be shy. Your recommendation is very good, but it is unaffordable for me to let my child studying in International School. So that, may be I will go to a church which has a multi-language of fellowship. I also found some course in YMCA, ESF and so on. When my son is getting older, then I will enroll for him. By the way, thanks so much.

Quote Originally Posted by msmslau View Post
    How old is your son? Is your primary objective to have your son speak fluent English or have him appreciate different cultures or something else?

If former, there are plenty of english playgroups that cater to your needs.

If latter, perhaps you can try enrolling him in an international school or asking those schools for recommendation? If you are a christian, there are churches that are comprised of multicultural congregation.

Culturally speaking though, HK is not like a melting pot in the US. So finding the multicultural enviornment is not as easy as you think. I could be wrong tho since I've not lived in HK for a long time.

hkaussie is offline Registered User

I would agree with the suggestion about church. If you don't mind your son learning about Christian things, there are many English-speaking churches that have sunday schools with both Western and local Chinese children. This is obviously free, because the sunday schools are staffed by volunteers.

Try to find an English-speaking church nearby where you live, and see if they have a sunday school for your son's age. Just be aware that he would be learning about the Bible and Christian values, it's not just an English class.

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Mini rugby would be a good idea- it's free or almost free and there are lots of clubs all over HK, you can just pick the one closest to you. Children of all different nationalities play mini rugby and if you join a club with a lot of non-Chinese children, or even one with a balance of both the training/games will usually be conducted in English.
    Mini rugby is great fun for kids- gives them the chance to run about, learn a new sport, get some exercise, compete and make new friends. And probably the biggest highlight of the mini rugby calender is when they get to play at the stadium on the mornings of the sevens!
    They train and play games on Sunday mornings and I believe four yrs is the youngest that can play.

http://www.hkrugby.com/hkrugby/minis...ugby-clubs.cfm

(you can find a list of the mini rugby clubs here and the person to contact for info.)

My son is only five months but can't wait until will be able to take him to mini rugby...my husband is espec. excited about the prospect!

bunbun is offline Registered User

International Christian School which my sons pass includes a Financial Aid system.But sorry I do not understand it in detail. Because there is Open House at the night of this Friday, how will about ICS if you try to perform it for a visit and try to hear it?

Hi, hkaussie,

I am happy that I have a lot of response. I just wonder any people can give me some tips.
    I am a Christian, so that I love my son to learn more about Christian things, I can go to the Kowloon Union Church in Jordan or St Andrews’ Church in TST, but I am also concern about my Christian life. I am a little bit worried that since my English standard is not so in advance, if I go to English Worship, maybe I don’t understand what the priest talking about.

Hi, bekyboo44,
    Your suggestion is so good. Thanks. I also know the rugby is a good chance to make friends with other different nationalities, however, I don’t know where can I find the source. Now, I get it, I surf to your introduced website, there is a lot of organizer, thanks so much.

Hi, BunBun,
    Thank you so much, I found out your provided name of “International Christian School” at the Yahoo searching engine, however, is it located at Fo Tan, NT. It is too far for me, I lived in Tsing Yi, NT.
    Except about the location, that school is so ideal to my son. Thank you very much.
    :woman

hkaussie is offline Registered User

Mini rugby sounds so cute!

qq, I agree that it's better for you to go to a church service in your own language, that's the most important thing! There are some services that are conducted in both Cantonese and English, but you might find those ones are more populated by Chinese people anyway. Also, it is probably not worth changing churches from somewhere that you are already comfortable.

Blessings, and I hope you find something you are happy with for your son!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast