Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Help!!! Not enough breastmilk for baby???

mintycat is offline Registered User

Yes the Medela single pump didn't get as much milk for me as the Avent Isis handpump, which was recommended to me by Mrs. Chee. The Medela also gave me bad pain on my nipples. Once I switched to the Avent, I had no problem getting milk.

As for plugged ducts, warm compress helps as does massaging your breasts towards the direction of your nipple, if you feel a small lump, that's where the plugged duct is and try to see if you can smooth it out. Or even letting the baby nurse more on the breast with the plugged ducts can help unclog it.

joannek is offline Registered User

the white spot sounds like a yeast infection. you probably won't be unable to open it up cos the yeast is right at the opening of the duct. mrs chee would use a sterilised needle & poke it so the milk opening unblocked. meanwhile, buy NutriBiotic GCE (Grapefruit seed extract). it's a very strong anti-oxidant & it kills bad yeast (the ones that you have in your ducts) follow the instructions to take it orally. put 15 drops diluted in 1 oz water, paint this solution on your nipple after each feed, then cover your infected nipple with PLAIN yogurt & cover with breastpad until the next feed. Remove & rinse nipple & areola well before each feed cos the GSE is VERY bitter.
    NutriBiotic is sold at Health Quest, they have a branch in HappyValley Yik Yam Street (across from Hk Sanatorium) & Times Square Basement LogOn (across from Citysuper). Meanwhile , refrain from eating anything sweet, made with yeast or grapes. So no bread, dessert, wines, grapes, anything that promotes yeast growth. put baby's chin at where you have the white spot & hopefully baby can help suck it out. what i did was i hand express at that duct (but i was pretty good at hand-expressing then & mrs chee had been teaching me a lot), so the duct clears out.

bte, i gave you the wrong no, must'v been a typo. do tell mrs chee about your yeast infection & book her for next week to come to see you.

a lot of us had yeast infection, but not much ppl know about them besides LCs. if you go to your ped or ob about it, they'll probably giv eyou anti-biotic. DO NOT TAKE ANTI-BIOTIC. cos it kills the good yeast in your body & your yeast infection will become worse.

good luck!

OneOneMama is offline Registered User

First of all, congratulations on the arrival of your new born.

There are some very detailed advice in the prior posts, so I want to share something else instead.

Personally I find the Medela electric breast pump not too helpful for expressing milk unless you have very engorged breasts. If you want to express milk (in particular when your supply is towards the low side), try using one of the manual ones instead (I use Avent), and/or using your hands to express (a lactation consultant would be able to teach you this).

According to my Chinese maternity nurse, there are a few types of food that would increase your milk supply: fish soup, papaya, fish, squid. Generally down lots of fluid (soup (better), milk, mothers' milk tea etc. ). However, there are also are a few things that you should avoid too: wheat, pork liver, pigeon, black beans, and grapes.

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy breastfeeding.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

The white spot on the nipple sounds as though it is a milk bleb. These can be caused by a plugged duct, thrush or skin blocking the milk duct and may oocur after a trauma to the nipple.

If the bleb doesn't hurt, nothing needs to be done. If it is painful, try to apply wet heat either with a warm compress or by soaking the nipple in warm water. Another approach is to wear a cotton ball soaked in olive oil in your bra to soften the skin and then attempt to peel away the thickened layer of skin. After the feed attempt to express from the nipple the remaining material by compressing the nipple behind the plug. Sometimes it is possible to express a thickened string of milk, which will help open the duct and keep it open.

If the above treatment doesn't bring quick relief, I'd suggest going o see your doctor or a nurse to open the blister. It is easy to get infection when you do this yourself as there is a correct technique to opening a blister. If you do have to open the blister use a little lansinoh cream afterwards as this will speed the healing and reduce the scar tissue.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

Thanks so much for all the advice. I will try them before I can see Mrs Chee.

btw, if my nipple is suffering from yeast infection. Is it possible that baby's mouth is also suffering from yeast infection (something mentioned in a book that I am reading). How can I be sure baby also has yeast infection that spread to the nipple or vice versa? Apart from curing my nipples as mentioned above, do I need to do anything to heal the yeast infection in baby's mouth as well?? After the blocked duct is cleared, will they come back later if nothing is done to baby?? Mrs Chee mentioned on the phone that such blocked duct probably caused by C-section as doctor gave me antibiotic after the surgery. She said it is common to appear from 8-12 days after C-section. Today is my 9th day after surgery. But she does not have time to talk about whether need to do anything on the baby side.

I do not heard from anybody about good lactation consultant in any hospital so I have to wait until I see Mrs Chee. Hope I can get more advice from all of you as I am a first time Mum. Thanks again.

also, I read the instruction sent by Sarah about how to hand express the milk. It really works great. You are all right. Much better than the Medela pump.

Joannek, I would like to check with you if your block duct come back after it was cleared by Mrs Chee?? I have met with Mrs Chee, she used a needle to unblocked my duct. As I already bought the Nutribiotic before meeting with her, she told me to cointue taking it orally for 10 days. Also, I have been controlling my diet not to eat anything that will stimulate the yeast infection. I also bought the Avent hand pump which proved work much better than the Medela electric pump. HOWEVER, after 10 days of above treatment, my block duct comes back on the 10th day. What should I do with it?? I am concerned that if I see Mrs Chee again to unblock it, it will come back again. Seems to me quite a waste of money if it comes back in 10 days. SHe charged me over $500 for me going to her office for each treatment. I wonder why the methods she taught me is not effective in preventing the block duct too. I cannot imagine if she expects people go back every 10 days to unblock the duct. Mrs Chee also said that the block duct must be cleared instead of letting it be, otherwise, the breast will become red and swallon....Is that true?? She also tried to sell me different product when I was in her office too.....

joannek is offline Registered User

yes, the block duct must be cleared, if not it will affect your breastfeeding and when you have another child, you're gonna be in more pain & agony than now. i know cos that's what happened to my sister in law. she never cleared her blocked ducts & she was painfully nursing her child for 6 mths yrs ago. and she's now nursing her 2nd. during these 2 yrs before she had her 2nd child, everytime we talked about nursing our baby, she said it really scares her to think about having to nurse a 2nd one! i kept telling her that nursing should not be a scary & painful experience. I deduce that she had blocked ducts which didn't clear up when she was nursing her first (she was painfully in agony & was helped by the LC, whom i said was uselss, for the first 2 months). so i insisted on calling mrs chee to help her this time after she gave birth (she just had her baby last month), i made an appmt w/ mrs chee to go to the hospital & i paid for the 1st 2 appmts. she found out that one of her breasts were VERY blocked up, and they're still not fully cleared up yet. but it's getting there & she said she can tell it's clearing up.

now about you, what happened to you also happened to me. the white dot was gone for a week or so (so i thought it was cleared), and it came back. what mrs chee & i both think is the yeast is coming up from the back of the duct, we cleared the opening, so the milk that is at the back comes thru, when i've got yeast all the way at the back of the duct, it eventually made its way up to the opening. i don't remember exactly how long it took me to clear it up (mother's brain!!), i only remember i used hand expressing to specifically pushed at that duct, and i was doing it for a week or so every day at bedtime, and suddenly one day, a big string of yellow "milk" flew out from the hole and it was cleared afterwards. i was taking nutiobiotic until one month after everything cleared.

mrs chee does seem to be selling us things, it's only cos she thinks those are good stuff. but don't feel obliged to buy any of them. just say i'll think about it, and she won't push. imagine charging so much for a visit, she's making a lot of money already la!

and good luck!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast