Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Epidural

mmec is offline Registered User

Epidural

Thank you to all those who offered their valuable advise on my concerns relating to an episiotomy. As I am quite pain INTOLERANT, all my questions stem from this fear. The next fear to ease is the pain associated with an epidural. I have asked two friends about the level of pain and the two answers fall within opposite ends of a spectrum - 1) it felt like someone cutting me with a knife and 2) it was nothing more than a normal vaccination.

Would love to hear other people's experiences.

joannek is offline Registered User

to me it was a teeny little bit more than a vaccination, and i'm ultra sensitive. but when you're in labor & you want an epi, you don't care about whether it hurts or not, cos you're already in so much more pain than the jab. all i could think about was "thank God the anesthetist is finally here" & just want the epi to start working ASAP.

val23 is offline Registered User

Painful but worth it

Hi,

They tried to do epidural on me 3 times. They told me not to move but it was so painful that I couldnt help it. I don't know what a knife cutting through you feels like but it was so painful that I kept on crying. But in the end, I think the epidural pain was worth it as I didn't have to feel much labor pains at the end.

Good luck to you.

sky123 is offline Registered User

I had a painfree birth cos we had the epi before any pain started so I was able to stay still when it was put in. I guess the anaesthetist who does it is also very important. Mine was absolutely brill.

madaboutCows is offline Registered User

I've had an epidural and a complete spinal block in preparation for an elective C-section and they were both not very painful at all. Maybe the spinal was more uncomfortable but trust me if you're in established labour and having painful contractions in comparision the eipdural will be little more than a scratch and some immense pressure on the bottom of your spine.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

I felt nothing more than a little sting. But I had back pain (right where I had the epi) for 2 months after birth... not sure if there's any connection.

mmec is offline Registered User

Dear Sky123,

Would you mind sharing which hospital you had your delivery and the name of your anaesthetist? Thanks!

capital is offline Banned

I agree with the others, the pain of labor is so great, you won't even notice it. I had an epidural at 7 cm. I suppose if you are in ealry labor it might be more painful because the contractions aren't that bad. I was lucky that I got a really experienced Dr,The nurse said he was very good and very quick, and it was. I had no complications form it after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast