Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

New born fever

ninahudd is offline Registered User

New born fever

A friend of mine has just had a c -section after 12 hours of contractions with no dilation. She was induced because she had gestational diabetes and they estimated the baby to be quite big already. The baby was wipped away with a fever before she knew anything about it. Any one had experience of this? She has not seen the baby yet (24 hours in bed) and is getting no info from the nurses. She does not even know the exact time of birth or how much it weighs. Really concerned for her and any info or encouragment I could pass on would be great.

Thanks

lydia is offline Registered User

I am sure the nurses have the best interest of the patient.

When I deliver, my baby have to be in NICU. The nurses told me that baby is in another ward so that I could rest. Now that I think back, they purposely did not let me know about the condition of my baby and about her in NICU so that I do not worry.

kambo is offline Banned

if it is a private hospital it is normal as they have not let babies out of nurseries after SARS. But they would let the other half or who ever is with the mother at the time of births. I had a emergency c-sec and only got to see baby on the third day when I was able to get out of bed and walk to the nursery.

scr
    scr is offline Registered User

I too had a difficult long labour and delivery. Since I developed a fever they whisked my baby to the special ward too. They did tell me the time of birth and weight but I was too dazed to register any of it. I held my baby after 3 days since I couldn't get out of bed and the nursery was on another floor. Looking back - baby was in very good hands. It is the mother you should be looking out for. Reassure her, let her know her baby is fine and hope she has lots and lots of support for when she goes home with baby.

It is very unlikely of the nurses to not give any information. Try to get the information for her.