Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Pro breastfeeding paediatrician

JennyB is offline Registered User

Sorry Sarah, I have just read the link in your last post, and it already contains some good explanations about why doctors are not so hot on breastfeeding issues.

I can add a few ideas of my own, such as they like more scientific certainty than breastfeeding provides - for instance, if a baby is deemed to be underweight, ingesting an extra X ounces of formula per day will almost certainly do the trick, whereas how many extra minutes of breastfeeding are needed will depend on the individual case. Plus their trust in the power of medical intervention rather than facilitating what nature provides could be another reason.

Still makes me fume though! When I went for vaccinations for travel to obscure countries a few years ago, doctor did not know the information offhand but knew where to look on the internet for such information. Why can't they consult websites or those books mentioned by Sarah for breastfeeding information?

jane01 is offline Registered User

JennyB - that is funny.

Jools - sounds like Dr Thundap is the person to go to. It occurred to me last night that Hulda from Annerley midwives would also be a good person to ask for a paed recommendation. What that woman doesn't know about b/f isn't worth knowing !

jools is offline Registered User

I thought about Hulda, especially as she had been at his birth. I might give her a ring and I know my husband will listen to her.

Thanks everyone for your support.

We went to see Dr Thondup today and I just had to say thank you to everyone who recommended him. He was absolutely fantastic. At no point did he blame breastfeeding for our son's slow weight gain; instead he has referred us to a dietician as he focussed on the fact our little man wasn't too keen on eating solids. I feel so much better now and my husband is very pleased that we can explore this medical avenue.

Thanks again from a very happy mummy.

joannek is offline Registered User

glad to hear that you have got your problem sorted out. maybe i should switch my DD to Dr Thondup, too.

hussein88 is offline Registered User

jools,

would you mind sending me details of the dietician that Dr Thomdup recommended?

Sure the dietician is Mr Wong at the Adventist 2835 0633.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123