Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: Is the Chinese 'belly shape tells gender' accurate for you?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

shape of your bump reveals gender of baby?

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

shape of your bump reveals gender of baby?

When I was pregnant, a lot of Chinese (I'd say over 90%) including strangers could tell I was carrying a boy just from the shape of my belly. So I'm starting this thread as an unofficial survey to find out if this Chinese way of telling genders really work.

The myth goes like this:

1) if you belly is pointed (usually also mean people can still see a waist from behind) you are carrying a boy

2) if your belly is rounded and your waist is thick you are carrying a girl

mintycat is offline Registered User

My belly last time was round and I had a girl.

This time, it is also round but you cannot tell from the back that I am pregnant. Many older Chinese have commented that I am carrying a boy, but I am carrying a girl (99.9% sure).

Hannah's Mom is offline Registered User

For both my pregnancies EVERYONE said by my shape I ws carrying boys. I was even convinced that I was! BUT I have two wonderfull GIRLS! They were wrong for me both times!

pfydo is offline Registered User

This is interesting because in the US, they say that if you're carrying the baby weight all around then it's a boy, but if it's mostly in the front then it's a girl. But in the US there are many different body types, whereas here in China there aren't. Anyway, I carried mostly in front yet had a boy.

Deanna (rhymes with: )

LBC
    LBC is offline Registered User

I wouldn't say this is a Chinese thing. This talk goes around all my Swedish friends as well although it is not exactly accurate all the time but most women I know with round bellies have had daughters and most with pointed ones have had sons... My helper just told me that she's convinced I'm carrying at least one girl (expecting twins) even though I haven't even started growing yet.... Well well, time will tell!

ctrbabe1 Guest

with my first daughter I carried all around, with my second daughter, I was all out front. All the Chinese people we met (dh's relatives, friends at church, moms at the playground etc) all said we were having a boy.

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

When I was carrying my third child almost everyone told me I was expecting a girl. Then about a week before he was born my husband came up behind me and whispered in my ear that the baby had changed sex as the bump was looking very different now. And a week later we had a baby boy.

prego_me likes this.

elmo is offline Banned

With both my pregnancies, the bump was all at the front and almost everyone guessed right. Two boys! Based on my pregnancy body shape, I was totally convinced that a lady I met recently was going to have another boy. So imagine my surprise when she ended up having a girl.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast