Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Best washing machines for baby clothes/frequent use?

snagito is offline Registered User

Best washing machines for baby clothes/frequent use?

Hi All!

Trying to wade through the masses of options available for home appliances here. Grateful for your input on what washing machine/dryer you have found to be the best & most durable for you. With our baby we tend to do a load pretty much every other day, if not every day!

1. Is it better to get a washing machine and dryer in two separate units or does a combined one work better?

2. Since many don't have guarantees beyond 1 year, are we better off buying second hand and hoping for the best? If you were to buy second-hand, what would be your cut-off point for how long the appliance has been used (ie: 3 years would be ok?/5 years is too long?)

Thank you for all the input!

rani is offline Administrator

I prefer separate units, cos we did a separate load for baby for the first few months and we washed sheets frequently and would end up doing 2 loads a day. Washing machines have a long life span. I think 3 years is fine, 5 isn't too bad either.

Did you see this classified ad on Geoexpat

http://www.geoexpat.com/classifieds/...ate/1109214655

Last edited by rani; 05-07-2007 at 09:27 AM.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

kashismum is offline Registered User

Fortress offer the option of an extended warranty on most appliances - up to 3 years I think. We got our Zanussi washer there almost 3 years ago and it's still going strong. We do a 6kg load every day - sometimes two - and I expect it to last a few more years longer.
    We don't have a dryer as we have balconies and don't really have the need.
    HTH.

mintycat is offline Registered User

I prefer separate units too. We had a two-in-one in our old apartment due to space. The 2-in-1 cannot hold a large load and we did several loads in a day especially when my DD was just a newborn. Now we have a separate washer and dryer and we can put in a lot more clothes at one time. We can also wash and dry at the same time. Much more convenient.

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

Wouldn't go for second hand as insurance might not cover in case of water leakage, which btw, could ruin not just your flooring, but also damage the floor below... could end up having to pay for damage.

We bought a samsung washer around 6 months ago, pretty good price and useful features like start timer and special program for baby's clothes.

snagito is offline Registered User

Ended up buying a second-hand washer and second-hand dryer (about 3 yrs) old and will hope for the best! Great advice everyone, thank you!