Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Antibiotocs

mintycat is offline Registered User

Antibiotocs

DD is 2 and is not a baby anymore but I am posting my concern here as there seems to be more traffic.

She had a cold 3 weeks ago with a mild fever and runny nose (mostly clear). We just gave her paracetamol to lower her fever but nothing for the nose except vicks and lots of fluid. Eventually the fever and the cold went away after a few days.

She then developed a cough last Sunday but it was dry and only intermittenly. I didn't give her anything again because we want her to fight it on her own other than giving her tons of meds. Since Wed, the cough became a little phlegmy and woke her up in the middle of the night. She even threw up twice on her bed in the middle of the night.

Since I am 37 weeks pregnant, and the cough seems to be interferring with her sleep, we decided to take her to see the doctor. Our ped is Dr. Alfred Tam but there was a long wait so we saw Dr. Chow instead. She said it's a viral infection and would prescribe a cough medicine for her and that it was wise for us to see her since I will be having a c-section in 10 days and if I catch this and have a fever, they will not admit me. She also said she will give my DD Klacid, an antibiotic. I asked why because I know antibiotics is good for bacterial infection and not viral infection. She said since I am about to give birth, she is just prescribing it so DD won't get worse and infect any of us.

When we went to the pharmacy, I noticed she had prescribed 6 different meds. Klacid (antibiotics), benadryl, zyrtec (as I know these are allergy meds mostly for runny nose?), singulair (for cough), paracetamol and ibuprofen. I told the pharmacist we don't need the latter 2 cos we have them at home and she does not have a fever. I asked the pharmacist if we really need the allergy meds and why can't she just prescribe us the cough medicine Dr. Tam gave us last time that took care of her cough. She said it's Dr. Chow's decision.

Of course I am no medical practioner and my first instinct is to trust the doctor. After doing some seaching on the internet, I know Zyrtec and Benadryl is mostly for runny nose and not cough. The only cough medicine she gave is is Singulair which is in tablet form and to be taken only once a day before bedtime. I don't know, maybe the benadryl formula she gave us has the cough formula in it. I am also wondering why in the first place was the antibiotic prescribed? If its viral, it won't help anything, right? She said it's also for my protection.

Please enlighten me as my DD hasn't been sick a lot and I am wondering if all these meds will be good for her. She kept telling me that the most important thing is for DD to get well so that I won't catch if before my c-section and that the new baby won't catch it.

mosmom is offline Registered User

I would be confused, too. Hope you'll be able to figure out the 'right' way soon! The only thing I can tell you from my own experience is that I was given Zyrtec by doctors and pharmacists in Switzerland only and only against symptoms of my hay fever allergy. And it is a drug that has always made me - an adult! - very drowsy afterwards. I would also be concerned about giving it to my little one.

KMM
    KMM is offline Registered User

Smile hi there

I hope your daughter is much better now - my little one is also 2 and I know how important good sleep is for both you and DD.

We had antihistamine prescripted for coughing too - and I must say it works very well for the night, first the cough reduces and second it makes her sleepy and helps though the night. (only give it for bedtime) it has no side effects and you can us it as you need only.
    I'm not an expert but I think the Dr here are very carefull with antibiotics - may be DD is in incubation period for bacterial infection and this could be dangerous for you. Means she could develop a fever soon - and what about the CC for you then?
    If you start the antibiotic you should finish the cause - the side effects and risk for resistences are small.
    Try to put a large pillow under her head - my daughter could sleep much better.
    all the best for you 2
    KMM

joannek is offline Registered User

i don't know much about these medicine for i tend to avoid them. when my 2 yo gets a cold & cough, i bring her to my homeopath.

since your child has records with Dr Tam, why don't you try to call him on his pager, i'm sure he'll call you back. then you can ask him all these questions. he's probably the best person to answer them.

i wouldn't give my daughter ibuprofen & paracetamol at the same time. i read that it's either or, never both together. i'd not give anti-biotics to my daughter either. especially if your DD is not sick often. i personally have taken zyrtec before (before i was pregnant & never again) to help me sleep (so i took it as a sleeping pill).

as for natural remedy, give your son hot water with fresh lemon & manuka honey, vaporiser with euculyptus to help breathing. elevate the mattress (pillow side).

mintycat is offline Registered User

Thanks for your responses. She still has a barking cough which Dr. Chow said sounds like it comes from deep so that's why she gave us the antibiotics.

Joannek ~ we don't give paracetamol and ibuprofen together. The former is for low grade fever and the latter is for high fever. Which homeopath do you see? I used to see Dr. Jamieson in Central, but I didn't know they see kids as well.

joannek is offline Registered User

i now go to dr. sonal at imi. she's good with children. my daughter has only seen her once 2 weeks ago. she seem to be better now. she's still on her homeopathy remedy cos she has allergies. we're trying to treat her allergies now & hopefully will help with her eczema, too.

aprilbaby is offline Registered User

just from my experience my little one would be prescribed piriton or benadryl as a a preventative measure, so if he had the sniffles, the antihistamine would dry it up before it had a chance to form into a cough or turn into an ear infection. You would think once the sniffles turned into something more, the doctors would just give what was needed, but this never seems to be the case in HK, they give so much medicine.

aprilbaby is offline Registered User

also Mintycat, if she still has a barking cough, you could run your shower really hot, keep the door closed, leave fan off and just sit in the bathroom and let you daughter breath up the steam, my dr always recommemded this

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Scroll to top