Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Puzzled about OB visits - help!

jodymo is offline Registered User

Puzzled about OB visits - help!

Hi! I'm a little confused...

I just found out I am pregnant, visited my gp, and got a confirmation note. He said that if I choose the public route (likely) then I should register for an ob visit with United Christian in Kwun Tong - we live near Clearwater. He said that in order to give birth there, i'd have to have all check-ups at the hospital. On this site I read that people are mixing public with private OB visits. Does this mean if I have an initial visit at United Christian, I am committed only to them? What about if I started privately, and then registered with them later? Also, if I had to go public, I read good things about QM - is it impossible for me to give birth there, should I wish to?
    Lastly, my doctor told me to make the appointment immediately (I am 7 weeks) - is this the right time?

Sorry to sound so muddled - i'm sure this is all 'childsplay' to most of you, but I would appreciate some help.

Cheers

KMM
    KMM is offline Registered User

MIX both! I registered at 20 weeks with Queen Mary Hospital (public) and they where ok about my record of private check up! They don't mind if you're willing to spend the money, as long as you get your checks! The privat Dr spends more time with you for questions and you don't need to wait so long. Friends went all public and had only occationally private appointments for questions. GOOD luck and congratulation - you'll be a mum soon!

mintycat is offline Registered User

7 weeks is about the right time for your first OB visit. I saw my OB when I was 6 weeks during both pregnancies.

Matty is offline Registered User

Basically if you are a HK resident you are entitled to give birth in a public hospital.
    It's your pregnancy, so don't let anyone tell you what you can or can't do.
    If you are going to mix private and public care, my advice is don't register with the public system until you are finshed with your private visits toward the end of your pregancy, then hand over copies of your records to the public hospital.

If the private DR you have seen doesn't want to do things this way, there are plenty of OB/GYN's that are more than happy to.

Congratulations and good luck!

jodymo is offline Registered User

Thanks!

Wow! thanks for those replies - you've really helped put my mind at rest. So it would be ok to register with QM as opposed to the Kwun Tong hospital?

Thanks!

kellyst is offline Registered User

check out this thread...

http://www.geobaby.com/forum/thread121012.html

seems like some seems to have no problems registering at QMH and others does. best to ask around first before 'first registering with one', not sure if that locks you in.