Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Can I do this??

cyberyoda is offline Registered User

Can I do this??

I have signed a contract with a new Phillippinno maid and her new visa is supposed to be issued on 8th June while her old contract will be ended at 31st May. This helper is now asking if I can let her come to my home early on 1st June and she said she can start work on the same day. I know that it is illegal to hire a maid before visa is issued but she keep begging me. Also, I just have a newborn baby and my husband will be on business trip starting 2nd June for 2 weeks. Should I take the risk of letting her to come early?? What is the best strategy to cover myself like should I ask her to sign something say she agree about that?? Or I have to keep totally silent, and ask her not to tell anybody and we dont sign anything?? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks

gigi is offline Registered User

I was in a similar situation before. What I did was to ask the helper to come and stay with me but her status was more of a "visitor". I told her that I wouldn't pay her nor expect her to work for me during this period of time. However, I would provide her food and bedroom etc. and she was happy with the idea. The reason being that was I didn't want her to stay in one of those boarding houses in Wanchai and for her, she didn't want to waste money to live in the boarding house neither. While she was staying with me as a "visitor", she took the initative to work on housework but I really didn't expect too much as she was not covered with insurance yet.

Sumei is offline Registered User

hi,

what you are thinking of is against the law but if it's any consolation, ALOT of us have had to do it! Good news is that you are talking about only a 8 day interim period so it's unlikely that you are going to get caught BUT do take precautions (like not getting her to do anything to out of the norm or dangerous) given you are not covered by insurance during that period, unfortunately getting her to sign anything wont help if you get caught.

noella is offline Registered User

As mentioned above most of us have done that! I had mine for 2 weeks earlier! Unless someone tells on you it is very unlikely you will be caught!

Scroll to top