Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Can't emply helper for three months

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User

Can't emply helper for three months

We arrived in Hongkong 10 days ago and I was all ready to start processeing our new Helpers papers(who we recently interviewed on a short trip here). I have now been told that we have you have to have been residing in HK for three months before you can even begin the process. I am devastated as i have a sick child who needs frequent medical visits. I was really hoping that I could atleast have the helper to sit with my toddler as i run around to her appointments and begin the process of setting up house.

I have never heard of this before. Does anyone know much about it? If so, is it possible for me to employ someone here in the mean time? I don't know what else to do.

snagito is offline Registered User

Welcome to Hong Kong! I think it's not as long as 3 months as we managed to hire a helper after 6 weeks of being here, but you do need to have a HK ID card before you start the process. To obtain the HK ID card we had to call the immigration hotline and book appointments, then go down to the office in person for the interview process and then it took another two weeks for them to issue the cards - so I would say you are looking at a minimum of 4 weeks. I'm quite new to the process myself though, so perhaps others will be able to suggest other ways of getting around the time frame. I will also send you a PM (Private Message) with some further details in case helpful.. (To check you have to click on the Private Messaging icon on the left of screen - I am sure you already know this but it took me weeks to figure out!)..Take care..

ELT
    ELT is offline Registered User

have you considered hiring local (HK resident) helpers until your DH is on board? The Employees Retraining Board can help you find a local temp though I'm not sure if they can find someone who speak English. The number is 23174567

sophwillsmum is offline Registered User

Thanks so much for your help.Rebecca, I have left you a private message.

Matty is offline Registered User

Sophwillsmum, I've sent u a PM.