Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gestational Diabetes Test

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I’ve found Hong Kong to be a society which always follows the rules, without questioning whether or not they are all necessary. So if it says in the rule book to do the urine test every visit – that will happen whether you need it or not. There are mothers with conditions, such as diabetics, hypertension, etc. where these tests are necessary but here everyone gets them every time.

When I had my first child at the Queen Mary, nearly 20 years ago, I had the audacity to write a birth plan. This didn’t go down well. In fact the doctor ordered a meeting between me and the professor of obstetrics. It was very scary and stressful. And all because I had ideas about my birth and voiced them. I might add that there was nothing unusual in the birth plan (I’ve copied it from a Miriam Stoppard book) it was the idea of a plan that upset them. Fortunately things have improved in the last 20 years. But the “follow the rules” attitude is this with us.

Matty is offline Registered User

If you refuse any test at QMH all that happens is they freak out, don't know what to do with a patient that is questioning their authority, then after insisting a few more times realise they can't force you and give up.

I refused a test during pregnancy and 1 during labour.

carang is offline Registered User

i hate the glucose test, but i did them.

i don't see anything wrong with doing the urine tests at every appt. better to be safe than sorry. i think that is the mantra that they use at QMH as well.

PS they found problems with my urine MANY times throughout both of my pregnancies, so i was very glad they were so persistant

Canucker is offline Registered User

Hi All,

Another woman I know gave birth at QM a year ago and she told me "the squeeky wheel gets the oil"... so if there is something you don't agree with (strongly I may add) she said to keep pushing.

When she went in to give birth to her second child she wanted to use the "birthing ball" (that is how she did it the first time in Canada) but they did not want to let her since she did not take the "course" at QM. She said she just kept on insisting until they finally gave up and everything turned out ok.

When I told her I know someone else who gave birth to a boy there 2 months ago and they wouldn't allow her to take pictures of her new son on her chest right after she was born (has pics of her first 2 kids this way - but they were born in Canada), she just laughed and said she and her hubby took pics and by that time they knew just to leave her alone.

So is it fair to say, as long as it does not endanger you or your baby or someone else, that you can push for something you believe in at QM and get it even if it isn't in their rules?

And I did think about writing up a "birthing plan"... is it a waste of time?

As for the birthing ball lessons, I can't even get in the "regular" English birthing class b/c they are full... why is that not manditory?

Canucker

capital is offline Banned

I am suprised that your friends in canada didn't have gestational diabetes tests, or have their urine check. I had my 2 in canada and they check my urine for protein and sugar at every appointment, as they do for everyone here (alberta) and everyone has the gestational diabetes screen. Of course you could refuse if you wanted to, but homestly I don't know why anyone would refuse those tests, they are noninvasive.

I woulnd't worry too much about taking pictures, what they going to do, make you have over the memory card! I think sometimes rules are made just for the sake of rules.

Canucker is offline Registered User

Hi Capital,

Maybe it depends on the doctor in Canada then... my friend in Calgary is 34 weeks along and has never had her urine tested at any dr's appointments and was going to bring it up at her next appointment b/c both myself and another friend (who lives in BC and is 32 weeks along) always get our urine tested. Calgary friend also got the 3D or 4D scan for free, where girl in BC (and in HK) you have to pay for it.

Then a friend of mine (who lives here now, but gave birth in Ontario) didn't have the g. diabetes test done when she was pregnant. So maybe it just depends on the dr.

Canucker

rach is offline Registered User

if for some reason you do have gestational diabetes - you would want to know about it as it can affect the babies lungs and is quite serious so i reckon it is better to be safe. that said i don't think private docs insist on it unless you show any signs or have a higher risk of having it but still i think it is good they are so cautious here.

Matty is offline Registered User

Canucker,

It's worth doing a birth plan.
    I did one, and had it put in my file during one of my check ups.
    The staff were excellent about it, and a Dr even went through it with me during a visit at Tsan Yuk.

I asked for some fairly unorthadox (by HK standards) things, and they happily followed the plan during labour.

I think if it's all there in black and white it makes it easier for everyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast