Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Firing a helper

Twinsmammie is offline Registered User

Sorry to steal your thread, Aussiegal.

Triptrap - Seems like you have experienced in terminating a dh. This is my first time and I am confused about the levy as I was told by my agent that the levy can only be transferred if my current maid is terminated before the visa for the new maid is approved. As I understand when the visa is issued, I have to pay the levy for the new maid. So how do I carry over the remainder of the levy to the new maid if my current maid is still working for us?

Quote Originally Posted by triptrap View Post
    The levy can easily be transferred to the next helper. Once your new helper gets the documents approved you can state on a document from immigration whether you want to have it transferred. You then have to only top up the missing amount to pay.

Termination letter is necessary as it has to be sent to immigration. Recommendation letter is not mandatory but if she was good but just didn't match your standards, it might help her to find another employer.

Sorry about the holidays. Oc course you have to pay her the pro rata amount as well. Two weeks for two years unless she has already taken some of them.

Cash settlement for the air ticket is usually easier, as she can sign-up with a new employer without going back to her home country.

spockey is offline Registered User

Hi Aussiegal

We have a wonderful helper who loves our son. This is evidenced from how our son has reacted with her. And, I have gotten good reviews from our son's teachers at playschool and music school.

But I am not a stay at home mum and because her English is not good enough to do a lot of marketing/cooking on her own, we simply have to find her a better home as it's too tiring for me to commit to training her in the ways of a Western home. She needs an employee who is a Stay At Home Mum (if she is an English speaking expat) to guide her as her work experience has been for a Cantonese family. She is trainable in the Western way of doing things but I simply don't have the time which is a pity.

If you are interested, please PM me. We have told her the situation of how it is difficult for us with her inability to pick up our "accent" & pronunciation and have asked her to start looking on her own too for a prospective employer. We've done this because she has a family to provide for at home and we didn't want her not to find another job. And we will write her a release letter instead so that she can "transfer" to another employer. She has not stopped doing a good job with our son as according to her, it would be "Unchristian" of her. In our case, it's worked out well as she is a good person.

So, that is something you can consider doing too as it's hard for them to find a job (sometimes).

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinsmammie View Post
    Sorry to steal your thread, Aussiegal.

Triptrap - Seems like you have experienced in terminating a dh. This is my first time and I am confused about the levy as I was told by my agent that the levy can only be transferred if my current maid is terminated before the visa for the new maid is approved. As I understand when the visa is issued, I have to pay the levy for the new maid. So how do I carry over the remainder of the levy to the new maid if my current maid is still working for us?
    My parents just hired a new helper. Their current helper wanted to go home a couple months before her contract ended. Immigration didn't let them transfer the remaining levy either as the helper was not terminated until the replacement arrived in HK.
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Hi Spockey, we have similar problems with our helper so we'll pass. We really need someone who has worked for a Western family before and as I work too, all be it from home I can't spend my day micro managing someone. Thanks anyway.

becs is offline Registered User

We have done all the paperwork for our helper, she was let go, we hired her before her 14 days were up, she still needed to go back to the philippines and after processing of all the paperwork by the hong kong immigration and the philippine authorities it will be 6 weeks at the soonest that she can be back. Not sure if your helper to be can just go through immigration to get her visa stamped, is it different for diff situations?

Quote Originally Posted by triptrap View Post
    She has 14 days from the day you fire her. If she can't find another employer within that time, she has to go back to the PH and try to find a new employer from there.

If she's good, she might find a new employer rather quick and just go quickly out of HK to get her new visa stamped.

mailmail is offline Registered User

I think you have a choice of either letting her return home before new contract commences, or anytime within a year of working for you. Were you told of this choice?

rani is offline Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mailmail View Post
    I think you have a choice of either letting her return home before new contract commences, or anytime within a year of working for you. Were you told of this choice?
    Don't all terminated helpers have to go home, unless they've been let go for financial reasons or if their employers are leaving HK?
    Founded GeoBaby in 2002

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Becs, our helper actually left her previous employer so her sister could enter Hong Kong and take her job leaving her with 14 days to find a new employer. We told immigration that we needed her to start asap (I was pregnant and had a 13 month old son at the time) so she wasn't obliged to return home, she just had to wait two weeks for her new papers to be approved before starting with us. As Mailmail says, they just have to go back home within the year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast