Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

anyone still breastfeeding when pregnant?

crew is offline Registered User

anyone still breastfeeding when pregnant?

does anyone of you keep on breastfeeding when you are pregnant? my OBs told me to stop immediately, as the uterus contraction induced by baby sucking will be harmful to the feotus. however the webpage I read said it is okay!

kashismum is offline Registered User

I continued breastfeeding throughout my pregnancy. My OB/GYN told me the same as yours, so I switched to another that supported my breastfeeding while pregnant.

You've obviously done some research and, from memory, mine taught me that the uterine contractions the doctors refer to are nowhere near strong enough to induce labour - normally. If you have a history of miscarriage or early labour, it may be more of an issue.

The quantity and/or composition of your milk does change during pregnancy and many toddlers will wean themselves. Mine didn't, but towards the end, I was not convinced I had any milk left at all as she would sometimes suck for an hour! Anyway, it was nice and I miss it. She nursed the day I delivered my son, and never since!

Enjoy!

capital is offline Banned

It is certainly not harmful to BF while pregnant. True oxytocin is realease during nursing, and this hormone also causes uterine contractions but it is not going to put you into labor. If you are at a high risk of miscarraige or have risk of preterm labor, that would be different, but for the average person it is fine. Oxytocin is also released during orgasm, so if your doctors logic was true then a woman should never have an orgasm during preganancy either!

forgot to add my own experience.

I BF my child until I was 4 months pregnant, when he self weaned. He was 20 months old. I had progressively worse nipple pain as the pregnancy went on, to the point when I could not nursing him without curling my toes! I could hardly stand it and it was at that point he weaned. I was happy but also sad that it was over, a week later I was over it.

He started to bite me (and my mom a few itmes) and press on me close to when I delivered, I think he could smell colostrum, and he was very jealous of him brother BF. The first time he saw that he tryed to pull him off of me. I didn't want to tandem nurse, but I am sure he would have resumed BF if I had let him. I do regret not letting him now as think the jealousy woiuld have been much less if I had.

I didn't want to tandem nurse because my first ate all the time, every 1.5 to 2 hours day and night for the first 6 weeks straight, and continued to feed every few hours until he was 1 and I stopped that by going back to work. I thought I could never manage that again, and nurse a 2 year old! But the second baby was entirely differnt, he was bigger from the start, and he never ate so often like that, so it would have been managable.

Last edited by capital; 06-17-2007 at 11:56 AM.

jools is offline Registered User

I breastfed through my last two pregnancies. I was never told by anyone not to. Both of them self weaned when I was in my second trimester. The joke in our family is that the only way I know how to wean a child is to get pregnant with the next one.

Thanx all for the reply, it is really a big support to know that there are mom still breastfeeding during pregnant. My hubby is not objecting it as long as it is safe. though my in-laws think it is time to give it a quit. but neither me nor my son is ready to wean yet. I will carry on until he self wean himself.

kashismum,

can you forward me the info of you Obs? cos I think I might need to change Obs. Mine are very strict and want her patients to listen to her advise.

thanx all of you!

barbwong_130 is offline Registered User

I would contact La Leche League for support if you are considering continuing to breastfeed while pregnant or tandem nurse. As for as I know they are the only group that supports a mother to breastfeed for as long as the mother wants to, whether that is until the baby is five hours, five days, five weeks, five months or five years.

They believe that, “ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby out grows the need”. I found that they were very supportive when I was in your situation and just because I had a second baby to think and care about there was no reason to short change the first baby.

The leaders contact information is on their web site at www.lllhk.org

jools is offline Registered User

I used Sally Ferguson for my last two deliveries. I can't recommend her highly enough she was fantastic.

thanx jools for the information and support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast