Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Matilda or HK Adventist?

jormankiu is offline Registered User

Matilda or HK Adventist?

I'm now 7 weeks pregnant and I was told by my gyn that I need to making booking at one of the hospitals like now! I'm now choosing between Matilda or HK Adventist. I prefer private room as my husband wants to stay with me. Cost is not much of an issue as my insurnce covers most of it anyway. My gyn said Adventist maybe a better choice cuz all the staffs there are very supportive whereas the midwives at Matilda are quite 'bossy'! Is that really true? What's everyone's experience with the midwives at Matilda? Matilda's environment definitely looks so much nicer than Adventist and it's not more expensive than Adventist. How would you choose between Matilda and Adventist??

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Hi,

I face a similar decision before my son was born.

I chose the Matilda and am so glad I did. The midwives and nurses are fantastic, and I wouldn't say bossy at all, but they are all obviously very experienced and so happy to help. They are also fantastic when it comes to helping out with breastfeeding and very, very supportive of it. I thought the midwives were great and felt that my baby and I were in excellent hands the whole time.

Also I felt I was 'in control,' in that my baby stayed with me the whole time, I was fully supported in breastfeeding etc.

I can't rate the Matilda highly enough- I hate being in hospital but being in the Matilda is definetly much more like being in a hotel than a hospital, and the food is fantastic!

I would choose the Matilda again and again!

I would definetly recommend going to visit both hospitals if you are unsure.

Hope that helps!

aussiegal is offline Registered User

I agree. I found the midwives at the Matilda fantastic. Really, really helpful and very kind. I couldn't have asked for a better experience than what I got there.

joannek is offline Registered User

i second beckyboo44. she said everything I want to say about Matilda. I've never stayed in a hspital before & the thought of having to stay in a hospital for 3 mights freaked me out. Luckily I chose Matilda, where my husband stayed with me on the sofa bed. I remember on the last night, i said to my husband, lying in the bed with my nursing bra flaps opened, "honey, if it weren't for all the aches I have over my body, this feels like a vacation!", and my hubby said "yeah, with those boobs hanging out but they're not for me!!" LOL

i can't say that about Adventist. My sis-in-law gave birth at adventist, she was in a private rm, but those still feel like hospitals.

turtle is offline Registered User

I gave birth at the Matilda and agree with everything that has been said, I think the help from the midwives was amazing.

I haven't given birth at the Adventist but two of my friends who did the first time have both recently elected to go to the Matilda for the second one...

blessing is offline Banned

Matilda is probably the best maternity place in Hong Kong but there are some caveats.

There is some truth in what your doctor said. Some of the Matilda midwives are indeed quite bossy. But many of them are not and are very caring and helpful. The emphasis on breastfeeding is good but it is my personal opinion that they overdo it.

The food in Matilda is nothing to write home about. It is OK.

Another rather annoying thing is that they allow all parents to enter the nursery and touch the baby without changing clothes, shoes etc.

All in all Matilda is a good experience especially for the first timers but it could be better.

Adventist definitely feels more like a hospital so Matilda should be better.

Sumei is offline Registered User

I have given birth at Matilda and stayed for 5 days (lung infection) at Adventist - I think in summary, Matilda feels like a birthing place as opposed to a hospital. I think the midwives are great, the reality with breastfeeding is that the midwives have to be bossy and push baby to you every time they cry otherwise a good milk supply is not established in the mother from day 1.... I think the only possible downside of Matilda is the location - if you are having #2 or #3 and your spouse and kids have to commute everyday up the peak (and you are not living within a 15-20 min drive) then it can get a tad exhausting...having said that it's so beautifully quiet and restful up at Matilda I actually think that is a good thing....