Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any advice for mums expecting twins?

e-mum is offline Registered User

Any advice for mums expecting twins?

Hi, just wondering if there are any mums out there expecting twins or have had twins, have any advice for looking after twins. I already have a 2.5 yr. old son.

Also anything you would suggest to buy or prepare before arrival of twins? Any comments will be much appreciated!

e-mum

KatBoo is offline Registered User

I have 7 week old twins and a toddler too.

My advice is to hire a maternity nurse if you can. The fee's can be high, but in my view it is worth every penny.

For their sleeping arrangments, I bought 2 moses baskets so that if one disturbed the other she could easily be moved to a different room. As it happens they can both sleep through the others screaming.

We have the Maclaren Twin Techno buggy, and also 2 carriers.

I know some people are against routines, but mine are on a schedule and have been from the start pretty much....I would have lost my sanity if I had demand fed. However, I do know a mum of twins the same age who is demand feeding...so it can be done.

I'm still learning as I go but if you have any more specific questions I can try to answer them.

I haven't yet joined, (although plan to) the Mothers of Multiples group, but I hear great things about them.

K

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

CONGRATULATIONS E-MUM!

I also found schedules really work with twins!

My two girls are 8 and half months now. We had them sleeping in Moses baskets til they were 4 + half months old!! They even shared the same basket for the first 3 weeks hahahhaa

OK the best purchases we made:
    2 bouncy chairs (can feed two babies bottles at once - I started doing this from around 3 months - still use it now when I'm by myself even though you're not supposed to when they can sit up but its the only way I can feed two babies with two bottles at the same time..)
    1 swing (great for napping)

Purchases that went to waste:
    cloth nappies (we were in the process of renovating our new flat and were living in small flat with no washing machine - by the time we moved ~ girls were 3 and half months old & we had got so used to the store nappies... plus I had enough to do without washing nappies on top!)
    twin breast feeding pillow (it just wouldnt fit around my hips and was really uncomfortable, I did fine with pillows propping babies around me)

I HIRED a double breast pump and that was brilliant - they are so expensive here to buy new and you can never know if you will be successful breastfeeding and pumping, so renting is great way to go.

I had a 'confinement nanny' for my first month at home and she was great. I highly recommend if you have any Chinese blood in you :)

Books -- I liked Twins, Multiples by somebody called something Luke.

If I think of anything else I'll come back in and post again!

Last edited by rani; 07-17-2007 at 11:50 PM. Reason: link added

e-mum is offline Registered User

Thanks for your comments KatBoo and somebodyfamous! Just wondering, did both of you have C-sections? Did you have a choice to choose natural?

e-mum

KatBoo is offline Registered User

Yes, C-Sect. I was leaving an open mind about it but was originally planning to have a vaginal birth, but both babies were breach so it was impossible.

csy
    csy is offline Registered User

Hi KatBoo,
    I am also expecting twins and have a 4.5 year old son.

Where can I find a maternity nurse that you mentioned?

Thanks,
    csy

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

CS as Ashley was breach. Luckily we did as she also had the cord wrapped round her head 3 times.... A friend of mine with twins chose natural, her boy came out fine but then her daughter was too high up and she ended up having an emergency CS after hours of labour....

talk2amy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by e-mum View Post
    Hi, just wondering if there are any mums out there expecting twins or have had twins, have any advice for looking after twins. I already have a 2.5 yr. old son.

Also anything you would suggest to buy or prepare before arrival of twins? Any comments will be much appreciated!

e-mum
    Hi e-mum

I have 4 month old twins (Ashton and Kira) and had a natural delivery. Kira was the second one out and was breech so I was taking a bit of a risk. There were only 3 mins between them. But I was back on my feet the same day and was able to hold them and breastfeed etc. I didn't like the thought of waiting for a week or so to recover from a major C-section. So unless your doctor thinks you need a C-section, I'd try and go for a normal delivery.

My mum helped out for the first month and we also have a helper. When I go back to work, we will probably get day care.

We also used moses baskets but they have outgrown them now so they both sleep in a single bed with a bed rail. You'll definitely need a twin buggy with sun parasol in HK. We also have baby carriers but they are quite hot to use in this heat so we tend not to use them.

If you'd like to buy our moses baskets, you're welcome to have them. They're both from Mamas and Papas.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast