Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Washing baby's hair

instantnoodle is offline Registered User

Washing baby's hair

Sorry for my rather silly question. My baby is 5 months old. Since she was born, we have been washing her hair by holding her in a rugby position under one arm, as was taught by the hospital. Now that she is getting heavy, this position is quite a strain on our arms. But we are worried that if we sit her on the bath seat and splash water on her head, water might get into her ears.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

aprilbaby is offline Registered User

As a new Mum I would worry about these things too, but my advice would be to just continue how you are washing the hair in the bath seat.....thats what i did, water can't really stay the ears, unless the ears are submerged. I used to find it easier using a plastic jug too, just one jug would clear all shampoo in hair.

klich is offline Registered User

Dear instantnoodle

Do not worry too much. Splashing is fine. I wouldn't worry as well about getting some water into ears. In France where I used to live, my pediatrician recommended that I support my baby's head from the back and lower him gently backwards, eventually getting his face slightly submerged. This was meant purposely to submerge his ears in water (to clean them) and to wash his face as well !

If you are still uncertain, you can get a piece of sponge and simply let water run down her hair.

pinemarten is offline Registered User

i submerge my baby's ears at nearly every bath, similarly to how the doc above recommends. Does your baby swim? You will certainly want her ears submerged then if she does. So why not get her used to it in the tub?

If you're really worried about infection or something, it is possible to just gradually lean baby back in the bath, with your hand behind her head, but without submerging the ears.

Rosanna is offline Registered User

I give my 5month a bath in the baby tub and use my hands to pour water on his head. Water doesn't go to the ears. if you are worried about the eyes use a no tears shampoo. Another tip is to hold her ear flap down why pouring water. Let her enjoy the splash and you relax. My little fellow loves splashing water with his hands and feet. we both enjoy it.

Rosanna & Aditya

mintycat is offline Registered User

I use a shampoo shield for my LO when she was about 5 months old. I continued to use it til she was about 1 year old. You can buy it at Mothercare or Bumps to Babes.

capital is offline Banned

It doesn't matter if water gets in the ears, it will run out, and the ears will be clean! How do you clean the ears if you don't wet them first? Once my children went into the big tub, their ears got wet, neither have ever had an ear infection.

instantnoodle is offline Registered User

Thanks very much for all your tips & reassurances. I'll try them right away.