Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

UPDATE - Fisher Price /Mattel Recall

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

FOr Contact Information: http://service.mattel.com/intl.asp

Recall list: http://www.infoasia-mattel.com/

We appear to have a rather short list! Is this because toys do not need to meet the same standards as overseas? I don't know.

rani is offline Administrator

The full range of Mattel toys is not distributed in Hong Kong. However, Toys R Us do import directly from the US and have a larger selection than HK Mattel. Hence if you've bought any toys from TRU check the US recall list as well.

Founded GeoBaby in 2002

engee is offline Registered User

i just heard abt it....so all these toys cars we buy have this stuff?My LO is gonna scream but its best to throw them all out.
    What abt the toys the kindergartens have?They must be from China too...
    God, this is crazy like Alex says.
    engee

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

its easy to blame China for this but obviously it was Mattel who failed its customers! I've worked in exports for many years and there are TESTS you do all along the way. During production, before shipment and upon arrival at destination. Why weren't these lead tests done at all those stages? If the China factories (SET UP by Mattel) didnt catch the mistakes, surely Mattel USA would have been more vigilant and caught this before the toys went onto shop shelves?

I've worked with factories qualified to supply for Walmart, JCPenney and other big names and safety is very very high on the agenda. Something is NOT right about this Mattel recall. I would avoid ALL Mattel products for now...

snoopymom is offline Registered User

this is a good link to see what products have been recalled... u can see the pictures of the toys...

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07257.html

AlexGuitel is offline Registered User

Multiple answers :-)

A very complete list of the recalled toys.
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/08/14/recall/index.html

Indeed Rani about the provenance of the toys sold in HK but as Engee said, it's not just about the toys at home but also in kindergarden, playrooms, etc.

Sasha my 2 years old is going next year to the Gaynanu kindergarden in Robinson Place and I sent them the list of toys and will make sure that they have thrown away all possible risky toys. I understand it may be a pain in the ass but it's child safety at risk here and I dont want to take my chance on that.

About what you say, somebodyfamous I totally desagree. It's not only Mattels faute and I thinks they can be rearded for communicating massively about it although there have not been thousands of accidents. There is a problem in China's factories. If it's not directly the officials products it's all the sur-production illegally done for the grey market and it's not surprising that the job's not so well done when you see how these poor fellows get paid to work 16 hours a day in factories where you would put a feet because of the work conditions.

I think that the WTO should work on that in the next years: Improving the quality of work in the countries where all the companies are settling their factories (China, India, Eastern Europe...)

And Carang, sorry for the iron/lead mistake, of course it's lead.

Take care,
    Alex

:yeah2 :yeah2

somebodyfamous is offline Registered User

Question

Alex, have you ever been to a factory producing goods for Mattel or any other big corporation? Not all factories are 'slave' orientated. The factories used by Mattel and others are really clean and well run - I know as I've visited many many factories all over China.

I also know of many skilled Chinese workers who move factory from to factory if they are not getting good pay etc. and MANY workers choose to work long hours. Why? Because they are hours away from their hometown and choose to work in another state to make good money to send back home, so they dont want time off, they want to make as much money as possible. NO ONe is forcing them.

You are right that the Chinese factories are to blame for using the lead, what I'm saying is, what the hell happened with Mattel and it's quality control?? Why did the toys even make it to toyshops?

Neha is offline Banned

It is easy to blame china for everything that is wrong. I agree they are also at fault. But consider this Mattel can probably get the same toys made in USA or any other developped nation which will cost them alot more than they pay in China. Well I think most of us will not buy those toys because of the high prices . U cannot blame either one side there is a problem at both ends. I agree with somebodyfamous, my husband is export business of good smade in China and it is not true that all workers are exploited and made to work 7 days a week with no breaks, those are extreme cases and I am sure there are alot of them. China is world manufacturing base beause of cheap labour and massive production. Also I wonder all thes epeople who are extremely paranoid about all that is made in China is suddenly bad. Before all these revelations we were still buying products made in China and thankfully nothing happened to us so why stop now completely. I still have faith HK System that they do try adn inspect whatever comes into HK like food stuff etc. So I am not going to stop eating Chinese vegetables or buying all toys FOR MY SON just because they are made in China.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast