Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Moving to HK - Which Doctor? Which Hospital?

jockette is offline Registered User

Moving to HK - Which Doctor? Which Hospital?

Hi Everyone, Since we found out we're moving to HK in October I've become an avid reader of HKPF. I am currently 9 weeks and will be coming over around 12 weeks to find a doctor.

I've been recommended two so far: Dr Dawkins (who I've heard is particularly expert at the Nuchal Fold Test) and Dr Ghosh. I would really love some feedback from anyone who has had recent experiences with either, to help make a decision.

I also understand that both doctors deliver at the Matilda, but having looked at the website it seems that the hospital is not taking anymore bookings before January 31st 2008! Aaaaagh!! I am due March 8th and am wondering if I will be able to confirm a room at all!? What is a good alternative if I can't get into the Matilda?

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

I'm with Dr Ghosh and think he's great... reassuring, caring, competent. Have heard lots of positive things about him from other mums too and friends who have delivered with him speak very highly of him. I'll be testing his delivery skills in about 2 wks time!
    He's an expert sonographer (so no worries about the nuchal test) and teaches sonography at the University.
    Only downside is that appointments are often delayed (but I think that's true of the majority of obstreticians - if they have a delivery to do, naturally other appts get pushed to one side).

I'm booked into the Matilda, but Adventist would have been my second choice. Dr Ghosh can also deliver there, but prefers the Matilda as he lives on site. I would imagine Adventist is similarly booked up.

Maybe you can register with a doctor now (via telephone/email) and get your hospital booking and then see the doctor when you arrive. If you really don't like the doctor you've chosen once you've met him/her in person, just switch to another. I'm sure you'll be able to get a booking eventually - there are lots of double bookings at the moment.

HTH.

clfoster is offline Registered User

Hi Jockette,
    I am with Dr. Sally Ferguson (British). She's very straightforward and very gentle kind of doctor. She delivers babies at Matilda and Adventist. Her practice is in Wanchai. Her number is: 2824 9112. I specifically want a female doctor for my first baby and she was recommended by my GP here. I like her a lot and trust her.
    Take care. Good luck with your move.
    CLF

jockette is offline Registered User

HTH, Thanks so much for your advice. I'm about to do exactly as you suggest and get an appointment booked, but it's very reassuring to have another positive opinion on Dr.G. Best wishes for two weeks time!