Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

please help! baby vaccinations to HK

j12tse is offline Registered User

please help! baby vaccinations to HK

Hello to everbody, please help us with some advice.

We have a 4 week old baby girl and I have a lot of family in Hong Kong, We are hoping to retuen in 8/9 weeks time with our baby, she will have had her standard immunizations (Diptheria, tetnus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio and Haemophilus influenzae type b (hib) Pneumococcal infection.) so will she be ok to go to HK.

I know about the mosquitos and will take full precautions to prevent any bites, it's mainly about the jabs, will she not need hep A and Typhoid? Thank you very much from a very worried Dad! I really hav to take the family back to Hk and can't really accept a no!

thank you very much

capital is offline Banned

Hep A is a food borne disease spread via fecal-oral route, so until your baby is eating solid foods, not really a concern. I don't think hep A is liscensed for under 6 months of age anyways, maybe it is a year,I can't remember off hand. Where I live (Canada) babies born to parents from china, hong kong and other endemic hep b countries are all vaccinated for Hep B. I know some places give hep B as early as birth (if mom herself has the disease), so it is certainly safe. I don't know how prevalent meningococcal disease is in HK, but in a lot of canada this is given as a rountine infant vaccination. For my children, they had diphtheria, tetanus, polio, hib, pertussis, men-c, pneumo-c as the routine vaccines, had hep B because my husband is from hong kong, and when old enough we bought them hep A vaccine for travel reasons. To be most up to date, check with a travel medicine clinic.

thank you very much for your speedy responce

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User

How long are you planning on staying? Babies born here get BCG (TB vaccination) too.

Also check out the resource section of GeoBaby. It has a schedule for you.

http://www.geobaby.com/articles/baby...tion-schedule/

JoTs is offline Registered User

We came back to Hong Kong from the UK when my son was 6 months old. He was up to date with all the UK vaccines so we didn't get any extra vaccines, as we were only staying for 3 weeks.

We have since moved to Hong Kong, so he has now had the extra vaccines that Hong Kong babies routinely have. As your baby is under a year, I think the only extra vaccine here, on top of the UK schedule, is Hep B (my son had Hep A and the chicken pox vaccine but they are given at 1 year).

My son had BCG when he was born in London, but I don't know if they give that everywhere in the UK.

So it really depends on how long you are staying here for, but you could give your baby BCG and Hep B to make sure he is completely covered.

Hope this helps.

fantastic! thanks for the very helpful advice :-)

capital is offline Banned

I guess I should add that my children also had MMR and chickenpox vaccine at 1 year as part of our routine vaccine schedule. But like others said, these are not given until age 1. This is because theyare live vaccines and the maternal antibodies interfer with the body producing long term immunity if given under 1 year of age.

Lolipop is offline Registered User

My daughter is just coming up to 3yrs and although we have been here for 2 yrs, she has never had a Hep A vaccination (she has had chickenpox when she was 10 months so is immune anyway).

Is this a problem? Do I need to see a dr to get this done?

xx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast