Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Buying from China

Matty is offline Registered User

I would definatley believe something that I saw on film with my own eyes over something I read in the paper.
    There are some holes in that newspaer article, compared to what was aired on TV.
    Espescially when the guy admitted exactly what he was doing.

Do you not understand the meaning of the word propaganda?
    The Chinese govt. is working very hard on damage control at the moment, as it seems to be one story after another that is focusing the worlds attention on China.

I think the only reason we are picking on China at the moment is because there have been a series of scares, one after the other.
    I don't understand why people are so defensive.
    Do you think it's OK for your family to be exposed to this stuff in the name of cheap products?
    If it was happening anywhere else, I'd be equally outraged.

I heard another charming one reported on Australia network the other day.
    Wet hand wipes, being made from recycled hospital waste.

Last edited by Matty; 08-19-2007 at 09:03 AM.

mailmail is offline Registered User

Calm down Matty, it's only a friendly forum discussion, no one is getting defensive.

Neha is offline Banned

Thanks mailmail. Our point exactly at the beginning of this thread was to be cautious and " crazy" with fear about everything chinese. Pretty impossible to live in HK and not use Chinese products.

Well every country be it Third world like China or developped nations like USA( Iraq war , weapons of mass destruction) use media for their own benefit. I just feel that why dont we give the Central govt in this instance ( Buns) the benefit of doubt. There are alot of people who are unhappy about Beijing holding the Olympic games so it can be their work.China did accept that there was excessive lead in the paint so they might be telling the truth for once. Things are changing china for the better and it si not easy for them to change teh system overnight.

Everything u see on TV is not necessarly all true they can also make up stuff to fool people just as writing false reports.

Have a good day

Neha is offline Banned

for those who want to make sure the toys in their houses are not containing excessive lead content

http://www.leadinspector.com/?gclid=...FSMxTAod3WUERw

bekyboo44 is offline Registered User

Personally, as much as I would like to, I think it is still much too early in China's development to give them the benefit of the doubt. So on one or two occasions, having been caught with their pants down (excuse the expression, it's the only one that came to me) they admitted there was a problem (usually after the press reported it first).

But freely, of their own will admit that their is a problem with their products? That doesn't sound like the Chinese govt. to me. In fact it's pretty obvious they are still doing everything they can to cover up such problems....and it's not just where Chiunese made products are concerned....reporters trying to gather info. on the latest bridge collapse were beaten up, they believe as intimidation for trying to report on yet another disaster within China.
    And for how many months did the Chinese govt. cover up SARS in its own backyard...incidents like that are scary espec. when it directly affects those of us living in HK.

I will agree that the press is bias- wherever you go in the world, you have to be careful what you read and how you read, and ultimately decide your opinion and what you wish to do or not do with that information.

I will also agree that while China deserved to get the Olympics for the financial benefits it will bring its people- but it does not deserve the Olympics on the other hand because of the actions of its central government on many issues.

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Mailmail, the reason I am singling out China is because I live in Hong Kong and this is a website run from Hong Kong. If I were living in Japan I would ask people what they think of food quality there. I am trying to take care of my family and am interested in finding out from other expats who live here how they feel about certain issues.

As for manipulation of the media, I think it is unreasonable to say that the US for examples suffers from the same issues as China when it comes to reporting. Whilst the US and other countries might 'bend' stories depending on who is reporting it the fact of the matter is stories CAN be reported and there are always many people ready to point out the truth when it is clear that the facts have been manipulated. In China on the other hand if the government decides that it doesn't want reporting on something it BANS it. This is one example for you http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,293597,00.html

Just type 'china bans' into google to see how far China has come.

As for China getting the Olympics, I think it is a shame. I feel sorry for the athletes who will have to compete in the pollution potentially damaging their health forever. the only good thing to come of it is that it is finally forcing China to do something about pollution and to clean up its act with regards to other issues that affect public perception.

loupou is offline Baby Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
    Mailmail, the reason I am singling out China is because I live in Hong Kong and this is a website run from Hong Kong. If I were living in Japan I would ask people what they think of food quality there. I am trying to take care of my family and am interested in finding out from other expats who live here how they feel about certain issues.

Yes, but please remember that it's not just "expats" who read and post on this forum. There are people like me, who are HK permanent residents who, although they grew up somewhere else, call Hong Kong home. There are also a fair amount of people on this website who were born and raised in Hong Kong or China.

I think that most people in Hong Kong are wary of both products and news coming out of China. We read, we sort, we evaluate, and we choose.

The Chinese language media in Hong Kong is very rich and full of information - some of which the Chinese Govt. would not allow published on the other side of the border. There is also a lot of local news that the English press (SCMP) ignores or is covered later than in the Chinese language newspapers.

I have found that Roland Soong's website "East South North West" is a wonderful source of information from the Chinese language media from HK, China mainland, and Taiwan, which he translates. It makes you understand that there is no monolithic "Chinese Govt. control" of media - there is censorship and control, but also things coming up through the cracks and other things that were once forbidden become OK. It's a very fluid and fascinating:

For example, here is a recent article published in a Chinese newspaper where the author is complaining about the lies and behavior of different government departments and other Chinese reporters.
    http://www.zonaeuropa.com/200708.brief.htm#062

http://www.zonaeuropa.com/weblog.htm

aussiegal is offline Registered User

Quoting Loupou - 'Yes, but please remember that it's not just "expats" who read and post on this forum.'

A couple of things. First, this is a forum where people are supposed to be able to post topics that are important to them. The question was in fact meant for expats who find themselves in the same position as me, i.e. they come from countries where the produce is good and reliable. if you are a local and have grown up eating mainland produce you will have immunity from most things you might pick up. The question as such is not really relevant to you - i don't need to hear 'i've eaten mainland food forever and i'm fine'. I want to know what steps other foreigners take to look after their families health.

Denying or playing down the censorship of the Chinese government and other shortcomings it has will not help anyone, certainly not the Mainlanders or Hong Kong locals who will live here forever. Most of us foreigners will get to leave at some point. If educated Chinese aren't going to stand up and say what is wrong or question what is going on then who will and how will change be affectuated? if you would like me to tell you what is wrong with Australia I will gladly do so... Challenging the status quo, asking questions is how we keep governments honest - or at least more honest than they would otherwise be.

It is interesting to see how quickly some locals responding have been to censor us foreigners who don't trust the food, the government, the media etc for our comments. The government has an interest (financial) in censoring stories it doesn't want the public to know about but when the people do it themselves it is infinitely more dangerous.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast