Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

taking helper to US for short trip

aussiegal is offline Registered User

taking helper to US for short trip

Hi, we need to go to the US for two weeks and as it's a work trip for both my husband and I we are keen to take our helper rather than subject our two young boys to babysitters. Does anyone know how hard/easy this is, if there is anything we need to do or have any tips. thanks.

mintycat is offline Registered User

We are hoping to bring the helper to the US next summer too so I would love to hear any advise.

With my friends, its usually a 50/50 situation, some helpers get visas with no problems, while others just get rejected right off. I heard its quite hard, also depending on the helper's age, marital status etc. My previous helper got a visa with her old employer easily. She was 50 years old and single. She told me a few of her friends in their 20s and 30s and single got rejected.

kashismum is offline Registered User

You have to get a working visa for your helper - go to the US Consulate in HK's website - you can apply for the visa online and they have some info specifically for domestic helpers.

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

As Kashimum said, you could got all the forms online and then book an appointment for your helper to goes to the consulate.(Make sure you have all the documents required)
    My helper was 38, married with one kid, she told me the officer asked her few simple questions. We have her passport courier back to us around 5 days with a two years multiple entry visa.

Bear Lau:

Bear Lau, our helper has some family in the US. Does your helper? I'm worried they will not give her a visa. She is 43 but she is unmarried and has no children. Her sister and cousins work in Hong Kong. She has worked in HK for 14 years however.

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

My helper do not have any relative in US. I think you just have to try your best and see what happen.

Good Luck

Last edited by Bear Lau; 08-29-2007 at 07:35 AM.
    Bear Lau:

Just letting everyone know the outcome of our helper's visa application. She went for her interview today and was granted a visa. She was only asked 5 or 6 questions whilst others were apparently grilled for a long time only to be denied. I think a lot has to do with age and then whether the helper is relaxed or not. I told our helper to relax and tell only the truth. She said others were very nervous and also didn't have their forms filled out properly. If your helper is applying i strongly suggest you fill out the forms for her which you can do. Our helper is unmarried and has no children. She has also only been with us for 6 months so it can be done. We wrote a supporting letter too.

mintycat is offline Registered User

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear your helper got a visa and that it's not as bad as it is made out to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast