Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Induction / Augmentation

snuggles is offline Registered User

Induction / Augmentation

Interesting result from my last GYN visit -- she noted that I have started dilating to about 3cm and had slight contractions (which I do not experience any pain) and suggested that I go into the hospital for labour augmentation? I am currently at 39 weeks. From the experienced mothers, better to go ahead with this process or wait for the birth to come naturally?

capital is offline Banned

I was induced twice, once for medicl reasons at 39 weeks, and my body is clearly not ready to go on its own, therefore it was very long and hard. the second time because I was 10 days over due, and I was close to going on my own, I think I would have went into labor in another day lor two probably, so it was faster and easier. I regret being indued both times, becasue with the second I am very sure I was on the cusp of going into labor anyways, and the first because, it turned out the baby was completely fine anyways. Induction is no picnic. I would not do it unless there was a very good reason for doing so. Induction puts you at higher risk of having complications during labor, harder contractions, longer labor, increased risk of cesearean.
    The baby will come when your body and the baby are ready. That will make labor the easiest.

rani is offline Administrator

Snuggles I was also 3cm at around 40 weeks and I had the bloody show. This was on a Friday. My Dr wanted me to wait until my waters broke before admitting me. This happened 2 days later on Sunday. I would wait.

Veronika is offline Registered User

I was 1cm at 34 weeks. At that point for sure I was only recommended to take as much rest as possible. I was about 3cm at 39 weeks. Nobody ever suggested to me to be induced. I was also checked for contractions with the CTG. The midwife just called me "the woman that always has contractions" but I didn't feel anything. I went into labour naturally and had a quick birth. Probably because a lot of work had already be done beforehand. I would really asked your doctor for any reasons to be induced. If there is no medical reason and everything is ok with you and the baby why not wait? Good luck!

snuggles is offline Registered User

Thank you all for the advice. My doctor's suggestion is that she ruptures my membrane to trigger stronger contractions so that there won't be any unexpected bloodshows or water rupturing which may cause some 'inconveniences', 'embarassments' or 'potential risk' to the baby. Of course, these do not sound like any medical reasons. I am also opting to wait for nature to take its own course.

MickeyMom is offline Registered User

i was induced at 38 weeks and yes the contractions were really stronger (even the medical attendants who were monitoring me said so), i laboured for 15 hours and in the end had to go through an emergency c-section because baby was starting to experience fatigue. i do believe in what they say about waiting for the body and baby to be ready. one of those things that sans any medical reason to do so (i was induced for medical reasons), one should just wait for nature to take its course

rani is offline Administrator

Hope this is not :tmi

The bloody show for me was like a period, so it wasn't really an inconvenience. I went to lunch with my expectant mommy group in SOHO, walked down to Central for a Dr's appt. Felt absolutely fine. The next day Sat, ran last minute errands again. Sunday morning went to the toilet and noticed the period was a bit heavier and then felt like I lost control of my bladder. It wasn't a big gush like in the movies but a trickle.

HTH. Hang in there let nature take its course.

capital is offline Banned

I am glad you are letting nature take its course, especailly given your OB's reasons. No one can tell when you loose your mucous plug anyways, as far as your water breaking it only breaks before labor starts 10% of the time. Most people will have that happen during labor. Can't think of what potential risks there are to the baby in terms of your water breaking or bloody show either! The contractions will be easier to handle when it happens gragually, vs, all of a sudden she breaks your water and you are into the strong contractions right away.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast