Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Adventist - full & turning people away??

MoJoJoJo is offline Registered User

Adventist - full & turning people away??

Hihi, has anyone given birth at the Adventist recently and can share their experience here?

I've heard worrying reports from my Dr and friends that the Adventist is very full lately, and had to turn people away even though they have booked months ahead and actually in labour (for both natural & elective c-section)!! My due date is end Oct and am very worried that I'll be turned away too (I've booked the Adventist when I was 2 months pregnant, but it's the only pvt hospital that I've booked)

arpana is offline Registered User

yes, this definitely happens. you might like to check with your doc incase you can book in 2 places just to be on the safe side.

MoJoJoJo is offline Registered User

yikes! i doubt i can still book another place now.... as my due date is end of this month :S

kellyst is offline Registered User

we just booked a time for elective c for Dec.. are they turning those away too? adventist is also the only one i've booked and i think it's impossible to get another backup now, my doctor seems to be quite clueless about the situation, he said he's not sure if they'll turn away elective c patient.. did anyone heard anything?

peainpod is offline Registered User

I was at my OB for a checkup yesterday and asked him about the situation at Adventist. He told me that they were indeed very full. He also commented that he was still waiting for them to confirm the room he had booked for his elective c-section patient for tomorrow, and so he would expect that they would be even less able to provide a room to those natural-birth moms showing up today/tonight.

Bear Lau is offline Registered User

I just gave birth in Canossa 3 weeks ago, it happens there too. I heard that they have to send three cases(natural birth) away to govt. hospital since all private hospital were full.(althought all of them have paid the HKD 20,000 deposit) I was so lucky that I have a elective c-section and my dr able to secure a private room for me.

Bear Lau:

leslievigil is offline Registered User

I'm having the same problem. I'm due Nov. 5th and I've had a booking at Adventist since I was 7 weeks pregnant. Apparently they have overbooked. I haven't even tried to get a back-up booking at this late date. I think it will just depend on the room situation the day I go into labor. I will try Canossa and Sanatorium if Adventist turns me away, but my doctor tells me that I should be ready to pay for a private room or they won't consider taking me. I'm also prepared to go to Queen Mary. I have friends in the same situation that are planning to induce labor when there is a room available. (I'm trying for a natural birth and I'm not willing to induce for a non-medical reason.)
    It's definitely stressful at this point in our pregnancies! I just keep telling myself that the quality of medical care at QM is good, even if the food and aftercare isn't so great. But I am a little worried about it.

andyNZ is offline Registered User

We heard the same from our obstetrician. Even though a room was booked and confirmed very early at the Adventist, there may be no place for us now. He blamed the large number of Mainland mothers who come to HK for their C-section.
    But I am not too sure if I would blame the mums or the greedy hospital. Mainland mums want the best for their children, and giving birth in HK gives them the chance to study & work here... who wouldn't do the same for their children

It seems to me that the greedy hospital is to blame for. Why do they take on so many cases? The mainland mums are all c-sections, so they can be scheduled within a margin of error. But c-sections bring in money and that is what privat hospitals are focusing on.
    We are going for the natural way and there is not much money to make, so we fall off the list.
    This is all part of the sick HK childbirth system. Doctors talk their patients into c-sections so they can get the big fee, hospitals give you an epidural straight away because they can charge you the Anesthesist.... this is all sick!!!

I am with you leslievigil! Unless there is a legitimate medical reason, why would you not follow the natural birth process! It actually works!! I had my first child outside HK in a country where these sick mechanisms have not yet taken over the birthing. None of the doctors there offered c-sections and induction unless they had to, and here they throw these things at you for their financial gain and convenience of their schedule. This is realy upsetting.

So leslievigil, I believe you are doing the right thing. Don't fall for the system of scheduled birthing just to get a room at a certain institution.