Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Paperwork for helper

logans is offline Registered User

Paperwork for helper

We are looking to hire a helper who will finish an existing contract here in HK. I have read through the previous threads but I am still a bit confused about the process. So:

- Do I have to submit applications to Immigration or Philippine embassy first?

- Does she have to go back to the Philippines in between contracts or can she start with us immediately after finishing her last contract?

- Can she start working for us while we are processing paperwork?

- (or) can we apply while she is finishing old contract?

- Is there any advantage of hiring an agency to do the applications or is it straightforward?

Thanks I appreciate your help!

RebeccaMB is offline Registered User

if the helper has been in hk for any "good" time, then she herself should know the way around the paperwork. we hired our helper 6 years ago and never went thru an agency. (she was finishing her contract and was looking for a new placement). She brought all the paperwork, we filled it in together, she submitted it to Immigration and the consulate herself (we paid the fees involved). UNLESS things have changed drastically, she should be able to start with you immediately IF, AND ONLY IF, you have a good reason for her not to go back for the 2wks inbetween contracts (ie .. you're pregnant and baby is due at that time or something like that).

she should be able to submit her documents while she is finishing her old contract

rani is offline Administrator

- Do I have to submit applications to Immigration or Philippine embassy first?
    The Philippine Consulate needs to chop the contract first. The consulate is open on Sundays and the helper can drop off the paperwork.

- Does she have to go back to the Philippines in between contracts or can she start with us immediately after finishing her last contract?
    You can apply for a 1 year extension from immigration and she won't have to go home right away

- Can she start working for us while we are processing paperwork?
    No, it is illegal. But most people do it, as the helpers don't have anywhere else to go once they move out of their employers home. Boarding houses can get expensive. $150/day

- (or) can we apply while she is finishing old contract?
    Yes, I think she can apply a month before her contract finishes.

- Is there any advantage of hiring an agency to do the applications or is it straightforward?
    Fairly straightforward. The helper will know what to do.

Thanks very much, I think I will try and do it with the helper. This site is a great resource!

Where do I get an employment contract from? I cannot find where to download on the immigration website, Thanks.

al77 is offline Registered User

You need to go to the immigration office in Wancahi (2nd fl) - information and liasion section and pick up a yellow pack which has all the forms you need including 4 copies of the employment contract.