Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

PCOS - Confusion

MickeyMom is offline Registered User

I was also diagnosed with PCOS and have been seeing Dr Derek Lo (fantastic doctor) since August. Have been told to lose weight (i used to be 138lbs and am now down to 130lbs. I stand 5"5) and have been given the medicine Metformin to take every night. Have also been asked to not take any carbs.

My period has been very regular since.

jane01 is offline Registered User

I just have to question the weight loss advice, particularly MickeyMom. At 138lbs and 5ftf", you are still well within the healthy weight range. How odd that a dr would tell you to lose weight????

i know, sounded very odd to me too. but i guess in asia (im asian btw), weight range is different. anyways, wanted to lose some weight anyway so took this as good advise. I used to be on the 110-120 range before becoming pregnant for the first time.

Cynthia353 is offline Registered User

I think that Dr Chrisitne Choy is a good doctor. She is brilliant and sharp. I had 5 consecutive early abortions and the reason was unknown. I consultated many different doctors but still no help on that. I was then recommended to Dr Choy in Dec 2006 and was diagnosed of PCOS on the first appointment, which she proved that by the ultra scan (cysts on my ovaries) and certain blood tests (hormonal level). She then gave me metformin and asked me to lose weight to improve the situation. After 6 months medication, I lost over 25 pounds and ....I get pregnant and now already at 30 weeks of pregnancy. I agreed that the fees that she charged are not low, but reasonable. And the most important she can solve my problem in a very short period. Though she charged the highest amongst all my previous doctors, she could point out my problem and treat that within half a year. I highly recommend Dr Choy.

Last edited by Cynthia353; 01-15-2008 at 04:04 AM. Reason: mis-spelling

I've been on metformin and diet (no carbs) , although occasionally I do cheat (like during the holidays) since August. But i don't seem to be losing weight! does that mean my body is not reacting well to metformin? should i ask my doctor about this?

Cynthia- amazing story about losing 25lbs in 6 months and consequently getting pregnant! I really, really wish for that too!

HappyV is offline Registered User

It's not really about 'weight' per se, but about how your body deals with suagrs, and how it is trained to store fats.
    Restricting carbs re-trains your body in how is performs these fucntion: both of which can have a direct effect on the fertility fo those with PCOS.
    Seriously, by a copy of hte SOuth Beach Diet book and read the into. It talks about PCOS and pre-diabetes and ferticilty and carbs (mcuh better than I can!).
    It's more about body chemistry: this is the primary concern - weight loss is secondary (but easier to explain - maybe your doctor was just in a rush!)

Good Luck''

ka__ying is offline Registered User

May I ask, for ladies with PCOS, do you stop taking carbs only or stop sweets in total?

I've reduced my intake of carbs significantly (I love eating rice but already given up...)... and found myself great cravings for sweets - candies/ chocolates, etc... is it normal?

I was 160lb at 168cm, now down to 149lb. please advise.

HappyV is offline Registered User

Treating PCOS through diet is not really about weight, but about how your body processes the sugars in food. The weight loss is a secondary, albiet nice side-effect of better health.

'Carbs' includes the sugars fond in processed foods. So, yes - I would also cut out the sweets.

If you're curious for more info - read The South Beach Diet. It's not about PCOS per se, the the info in the first few chapters specifically addresses the causes and effects of PCOS - espeically on fertility.

I've just done 14 days on Phase 1 of the diet, and lost almost 9 pounds. I just had my first sandwich in two weeks (by necessity - nothing else to eat!) and I can tell teh difference in how my body reacts to the bread, having not had any carbs or sweets etc for a fortnight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast